ajf412

Tell us who you are.
ajf412

ajf412

Post by ajf412 »

Years a pipe smoker: Off and on for about 15 years.
How you got into pipe making: I've always smoked cheaper pipes, and as I started making my way into more expensive pipes, I thought I would rather make my own nice pipes, than give somebody else money for their pipes.
Other interesting facts: I'm a former USMC Sergeant. I went to school to be a pastor. I started a part time business this year to turn wood products and pipes (http://www.thebriardden.com) . I am concentrating on pens now, but have turned some failed attempts at pipes, and finally a successful pipe that I will keep and treasure. I am currently gathering wood to practice making pipes. I'm just coming off from beating AML, so money is gone, but my father in law bought me a lathe when he heard I was interested. Can't find a job, so I'm trying to make one. If I want to start selling pipes, I need to make sure that I am making quality pipes, because I don't want to sell folks a waste of their own hard earned money. So, I've come to sponge as much knowledge from much more experienced pipe makers, and learn from your mistakes, as well as your successes.

My current setup:
Grizzly T25926 10"x18" VS Wood Lathe
I also have a table saw, band saw, drill press, bench grinder, bench sander (disk and 1" belt)

I'm doing all of this on my dining room table, or I move it outside on my porch when the weather is nice. I have no room anywhere else.
pipedreamer

Re: ajf412

Post by pipedreamer »

Welcome to the Forum!!!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome.
Good to hear that you beat your cancer and are looking to your future.
Congratulations on having a nice father-in-law as well!
I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.
There is a section below for posting "Other Things We Make" if you want to show your other work.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Welcome to the forum!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com