Noob in town

Tell us who you are.
Trinity

Noob in town

Post by Trinity »

What's up gang! Just thought I'd drop a line or 10 and say howdy.

Name is Trinity, I'm fourty-@#%^%$Hsomething.

My attraction to pipes and pipe smoking started at a very young age when my mom gave in to my pleas to buy me a set of basket pipes at a local flee market. I took them home and cleaned up the one that I like the most and started smokin'. It was a red apple shaped pipe and I cannot remember the maker. I wanna say I was probably 12 years old. I've always thought that pipes were cool. And not in the "smokin' is cool maaaan" way. They (pipes) have a certain kind of "class".

But, when I started, I really didn't know "how" to smoke a pipe. I was inhaling this stuff and it made me sick after a while of smoking so I stopped. I didn't touch another pipe until 2 yrs ago when, while on a camping trip, a friend of mine inquired if I ever smoked a pipe and that he thought it looked relaxing. Well, he picked up the hobby, on the obsession level, and it re-sparked my interest in the mighty briar as well. So here I am today with a growing pipe collection and a desire to craft my own pipes.

I'm a hobbyist bladesmith and crafting a smoking pipe just kinda fell into place. I'm hoping, with the help and information on this forum, that I can create something worthy of carry on this dying hobby.

Not sure if we can solicit, but I do have a youtube channel, "SteelnReel" and occasionally I'll post a piping vid or two. There you will be able to put a face to the name, albeit, it's not much to look at. My bladesmith website is "Hummingbirdforge.com" If any of you are interested. Unfortunately, I no longer make knives as I don't have the facilities to do so.

Well, that's enough of my nonsense.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm located in "Dirty Jerzee"!

Thanks to all for taking the time to read this.

Trinity
AdamCordray

Re: Noob in town

Post by AdamCordray »

Welcome to the forum!
DocAitch

Re: Noob in town

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome to the forum. This is the best place to learn how to craft pipes. A number of the regular members also contribute to Pipedia as well. Lots of information, how to, and arcana over there as well.
There are also many excellent YouTube videos on techniques as well.
I will quibble with your description of pipe making as a "dying art", however. I was involved in pipe making in the 60s and 70s when you could count the number of American pipe makers on your digits.
Now there are 100s and the level of craftsmanship is exponentially higher. It was a real eye opener when I got back into the art after 40 years.
I have made ~40 pipes in this century and only now have I started to produce pipes that I will display in the Gallery for comment.
Good luck.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy