FreeDivr

Tell us who you are.
FreeDivr

FreeDivr

Post by FreeDivr »

Years a pipe smoker: 1......week :D

How you got into pipe making: I have not yet started. I have been scouring the internet, watching videos, reading articles....almost obsessed with something I haven't even tried lol. I have smoked cigars for years and decided to try a pipe after several friends encouraged I try. I purchased my first pipe a week ago, I have several new tobaccos to try and I am excited. I have zero experience as a woodworker and will be needing to acquire tools to build but it's absolutely going to happen. I am leaning toward starting with a pre drilled kit for my first. I look forward to being in this community.

Other interesting facts: I am an avid free diver (spearfishing and abalone) Married, with two great kids. Also love BBQ and craft beers. Any pipe builders in NorCal who wouldn't mind an apprentice or at least somebody with a ton of questions feel free to let me know.

Cheers
mightysmurf8201

Re: FreeDivr

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Welcome Matt!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
DocAitch

Re: FreeDivr

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome.
Most of us started with kits. I recommend Vermont Freehand. Steve Norse will work with you on what you want/need ( bent, straight, large, small, plateau or random ebauchon, first quality or practice briar). I wouldn't shoot for the moon on my first attempt, especially since you don't have a strong background in crafting.
As for tools, you will need some way to remove briar - files and rasps, Dremel style tool, or sanding machine (disc in a hand drill is the most basic - fix the drill to your bench), sandpaper, and some sort of buffer ( again, you can buff with a hand drill).
Some guys trim with a saw- be careful, you can't put briar back.
Good luck
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy