MmmPeace

Tell us who you are.
MmmPeace

MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Years a pipe smoker: 1-2

How you got into pipe making: I purchased a lathe and began with simple projects like pens and bottle stoppers. I have always loved the idea of pipe smoking and stumbled across pimo's book, instantly knew I had to make some pipes. I have only made 3 so far but I am in love with every aspect of it.

Other interesting facts: I am a big aromatic fan (I want to expand though) and I have a major crush on the author shaped pipe, that is my biggest goal to create. Do you all trace your shapes onto the briar? I just ordered the lathe jaws made by smokindawg and I cannot wait to shape some goodness on my lathe. :) Very excited to learn and share with you all, more excited to get off work and load up a bowl! I'm also a bass fishing addicted, cartoonist obsessed with delicious whiskey.

Is there a trick to creating the author bowl, or just patience? I appreciate any info/help! Thanks everybody, pleasure to meet you all!
sandahlpipe

Re: MmmPeace

Post by sandahlpipe »

Welcome to the forum!

As for drawing onto the briar, I usually sketch on paper, make a template, and trace the template onto the briar. That way I can also re-use the template later.

An author isn't a particularly easy shape to do well. And if there are tricks to shaping pipes, I have yet to find them. The biggest hurdle in making any shape is attention to detail. Get your hands on a good example of an author, study it, and try to reproduce every feature exactly.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Welcome! I useta live in spokane, just moved to Tucson a year and a half ago.

I agree with what Jeremiah wrote, but would like to add that a Savinelli 320 would not be classified as a good example to follow (just in case you're tempted).
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by seamonster »

PNW represent. I'm in Portland. welcome to the forum. give a shout

sent from my blah-dee-blah using hooty-hoo
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

PNW = Papua New Winnie

(after talking to JMG for several years, it's the first thing that came to mind) :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

LatakiaLover wrote:PNW = Papua New Winnie

(after talking to JMG for several years, it's the first thing that came to mind) :lol:
George, you of all people should know PNW is totally radical BMX-rider slang for Pop a gNarly Wheelie.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome to the forum. I draw on the briar many times while the shape is developing. A No 2 pencil is always at hand.
While I am in the opposite camp from Jeremiah, (started out with freehands in the 1970s, stopped for 40 years, resumed in 2015), I have come to agree with planning a shape and trying to execute it exactly when starting out because you learn the techniques that will give you a crisp shape (good, smooth continuous surfaces, continuous lines [no angles where you don't want them], and symmetry), among other things. These techniques can be applied to any shape later on.
Authors are going to be a tough starting point because the shape is a bit more complex. A billiard is a little easier, and a poker perhaps easiest.
That "crispness" is what differentiates an artisan pipe from a good amateur effort.
Ratimus wrote:Welcome! I useta live in spokane, just moved to Tucson a year and a half ago.

I agree with what Jeremiah wrote, but would like to add that a Savinelli 320 would not be classified as a good example to follow (just in case you're tempted).
Ratimus, I am curious about this. I know some folks who collect the 320s.
I think they are chunky am am not tempted myself, but would like to know your reasoning.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Thanks for all the love! I am also curious as to why the 320 isn't a good example? Ha, of course I want to paint the Mona Lisa when I'm just learning to draw, figures...
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Doc and Mr. Peace:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

LatakiaLover wrote:Doc and Mr. Peace:

I also seem to like an author with a bit deeper bend.

That being said, I have a 320, and like it alright....

people need wood,
Jeremy
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/