chriscookz

Tell us who you are.
chriscookz

chriscookz

Post by chriscookz »

Years a pipe smoker: 0
How you got into pipe making: I haven't actually started pipe making. I'm a novice woodworker, and pipes seem like an awesome, intricate, highly skilled thing to make, so I'd like to learn more about them.
Other interesting facts: I'm not entirely new to smoking, I've been enjoying cigars for about 10 years, and hookah for a little less, but I had my first pipe smoke yesterday. It was harder to do than I thought it would be, (I think I packed it wrong) but still very enjoyable. I also enjoy writing, reading, and cycling.
DocAitch

Re: chriscookz

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome. This is an interesting group and you won't find a better place on line to learn pipe making.
The only better way is to meet pipe makers personally and visit their shops, and many of the people that you meet on this forum will be happy to meet you and have you in their shops.
Be prepared to spend a fairly long time learning the art ( 3 steps forward, 2 back- frequently), spend a significant amount of money on tools and materials, and don't expect to make a living doing it.
Pipe making has its own rewards. I am happy when I can look at a pipe that I've made and say " I would smoke this one." ( Of course, I am am even happier when some one else says "How much?" )
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Welcome to the forum! If you want to start making pipes, take your time. Learn what you can by reading and, if you can, watching pipes be made. Recognize that there are a lot of right ways to do some things and even more ways to screw up. But have fun. And for smoking a pipe, pack the bowl light and smoke slowly.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

welcome chris! who knew our paths would cross like this again?