Hello

Tell us who you are.
Seitz55

Hello

Post by Seitz55 »

Hi my name is Ron and I am from Wisconsin thanks for letting me in. I have been smoking pipe tobacco for about 3 years now and I would like to try and make my own pipe, which is the main reason I joined. I have a bunch of questions, but the first one and to me the most important one is. What wood is safe to use? I have googled it and the results were not helpful.
LatakiaLover

Re: Hello

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Welcome to the forum! I think you'll find several useful threads on the alternative materials board. We mainly deal with briar, morta, and perhaps olive wood for pipe materials. Others, such as Cherry and pear wood can be used with good results, but they won't last as long as briar. If you're practicing just starting out, any hardwood is fine, but I would suggest looking at the online wood toxicity database before smoking anything questionable.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome
Your choice of wood certainly will reflect both your budget and your ultimate direction.
Most folks start with a briar pipe kit. Vermont Freehand, JH Lowe, and Mark Tinsky all have kits available. ( and many others)
The advantage of the kit is that it allows you to make a pipe with the hand tools that are easily and inexpensively available.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Seitz55

Post by Seitz55 »

Thank you for the help.