Looks Great!

If you have any comments for how this site or forum might be improved, or if you are having any difficulties with this site, please post such comments here.
sethile

Looks Great!

Post by sethile »

The new site looks great. I think the organization into areas for Members and non-Members is good. It's not that big a deal to join, so the information is still readily available to anyone motivated at all. I hope to eventually make it into the full-timers catagory, and I'd be interested in seeing that area develop should it prove useful to the folks that are really doing this as part or all of their living.

Only issues I've seen are minor: 1. It seems like something odd is happening to the Avatars. It looks like they're trying to load, but then don't display? I noticed this is happening with most of them, but not all. Tried replacing mine, but that didn't seem to change anything. Not worth hassling much with, but I enjoyed them. Come to think or it, maybe it prevents remembering posters by their screen names? 2. Actual join dates are lost, but thankfully the posting dates are still there, and so are the posting totals. 3. No indication for rank, but it can be easily surmized by the posting totals, and makes an "apprentice" like me hide one's noobiness a little easier, at least until I post pipe pics :roll:

Kurt, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I played around with putting a wiki on one of my sites using mediawiki. I ran into a php config problem and realized how much tweaking time all this stuff takes. Once again, thanks for all your work! I'd enjoy doing something behind the scenes to contribute more, but it's sure a lot more fun to make pipes than mess with php! :shock:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Hi all
the forum looks great again.
Thanks for your work Kurt!
I agree to you Wolf!

Kurt just say haw to make the donations?

Best
george
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Looks Great!

Post by KurtHuhn »

sethile wrote: Only issues I've seen are minor: 1. It seems like something odd is happening to the Avatars. It looks like they're trying to load, but then don't display? I noticed this is happening with most of them, but not all. Tried replacing mine, but that didn't seem to change anything. Not worth hassling much with, but I enjoyed them. Come to think or it, maybe it prevents remembering posters by their screen names? 2. Actual join dates are lost, but thankfully the posting dates are still there, and so are the posting totals. 3. No indication for rank, but it can be easily surmized by the posting totals, and makes an "apprentice" like me hide one's noobiness a little easier, at least until I post pipe pics :roll:
I just found the problem with the avatars and fixed - that was a quick one thankfully. I also managed to fix a few, uh, "issues" with permissions. That was crazy, and had me befuddled for about 20 minutes until I started issuing SQL statements direct to the database, and discoved that a difference in user_level from the old forum to the new one had granted everyone "Admin" access. I about had a heart attack! :shock:

Needless to say, that's fixed now. :oops:

I'll get a ranking system sorted out sooner or later. I'm actually poking at mediawiki right now, to see how this thing works. If it's good enough for wikipedia, it's good enough for me!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Re: Looks Great!

Post by sethile »

KurtHuhn wrote: I'll get a ranking system sorted out sooner or later. I'm actually poking at mediawiki right now, to see how this thing works. If it's good enough for wikipedia, it's good enough for me!
Yeh, that's why I was looking at mediawiki. Wikipedia is a heck of an indorsement! I gather that the two sort of evolved together. While reading the mediawiki docs I saw where it could share resources with a PHPBB forum, so it seems like it could work out nicely here. My little experiment got close but the default php load on my server space was set for an allocation of 32M of RAM--I don't think it's enough for the install script to work. With my host (PHP Webhosting) I would need to set up my own php.ini file and upload it into a seperate directory etc.. Figured since the wiki should ultamitely be over here anyway, going any further with it on my server would be a waist of time...

Yikes, glad you got the permissions straightened out! The Avatars are working great now, thanks! I 'd been wanting to change mine for a while and decided this would be a good time.

Sure great to have the forum back up, Kurt! :D
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
bluesmk

gallery access?

Post by bluesmk »

Kurt,
Thank you, the site looks great, but I can't access the gallery, is it up?
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

No gallery yet, but I'm working on it. Unfortunately, a lot of nothing is going to get done on the site today, because I'm completely *swamped* with backorders. If I don't make a half dozen pipes today, I'm screwed.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Thanks Buddy,.....then get the hell back in the shop! LOL!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes