Etch a sketch

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Nate

Re: Etch a sketch

Post by Nate »

W.Pastuch wrote:I strongly recommend that anyone using a metal lathe should have some kind of machinists handbook. There's books like that in every language and they are incredibly useful. Most of the information will be too advanced and related to turning steel, but some of the info is essential for a good understanding of how turning actually works from a scientific /technical point of view (turning angles, speeds, swarf formation, etc.).
Agreed. Plus they also help with things previously mentioned in the thread about layout and tool setup.
Cms83

Post by Cms83 »

Yup, tearout it is, I made my tool as sharp as I could on my watergrinder (like a tormek but not the real thing) and honed it as best I could on the leather honing wheel, but I see people on here talk about being able to shave the hairs on their arms at any time with the cutting tools, but my tool didn't get nearly as sharp as that (It was sharp, but not THAT sharp). I guess I simply don't know how to take the sharpness to the next level, any suggestions?
. I have some. I don't know much about pipe making. Just getting started and have a long way to go. But I have been working wood with hand tools only, for some time. So a sharp tool is important to me as everyone for that matter. But shaving the hair on arm is sharp but not sharp enough a good test is take soft white pine and make test cuts against the grain. A tool sharp to shave will have Tare out. Sounds like you should spend more time on the course stone. Keep making test cuts on the pine. You quick hit the med. stone to remove burrs. But don't go heavy on your finer stones till you can get a clean cut on the pine. The course stone gets you sharp the finer stones gives you a polished edge to keep it sharp and remove small burrs that roll over and dull your tool. If it's a single bevel edge. work the back the same as the bevel, just as important. Also not sure if you know, but when you hit the leather be sure to work backwards. Pull the tool. Also using a leather wheel on a grinder can dull the tool if the edge hits the wheel. A leather strop might be better. Hope this helps. I know I'm late to the party here but I'll throw in my 2 cents Chris
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

W.Pastuch wrote:I strongly recommend that anyone using a metal lathe should have some kind of machinists handbook. There's books like that in every language and they are incredibly useful. Most of the information will be too advanced and related to turning steel, but some of the info is essential for a good understanding of how turning actually works from a scientific /technical point of view (turning angles, speeds, swarf formation, etc.).
IAWW

There are also some real good videos that Jeff linked in the Tools & Tooling section. It is at the top as a sticky. I have watched the videos a few times and I feel like a dummy for using the lathe for so many years without learning about them properly.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies