Problems with smaller mortises and ss tenons

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
kamkiel

Problems with smaller mortises and ss tenons

Post by kamkiel »

Hopefully this is something easy to remedy. I have used 6mm ss tubing on a couple of pipes with bamboo shanks and for some reason the fit is just a little too loose. The pipe I am making now, I put a (what I thought was) little bit of super glue in the mortise to try and tighten things up. I let it sit for a couple minutes, picked up the pipe to find that the glue had travelled down the inside of the shank all the way to the chamber... :banghead:

I am hoping one of you more enlightened gentleman could tell me if there are better ways to do this.

Also, if I sand the glue out, is the pipe still okay to smoke? I did read that super glue has some bad kind of stuffs in it, but it would be a shame to chuck this pipe.

Thanks,
Kiel
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: Problems with smaller mortises and ss tenons

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I have been making an ebonite sleeve with integral "cap" to line the mortise of a bamboo pipe. It is a much tighter and stable fit to the ss tubing.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

To remove the super glue run the drill bit back down the air hole. In future if you want to put super glue in the mortise use a cotton bud (q-tip)
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I do the same as Joe and turn a sleeve that includes the band/cap. Ebonite is much more stable than bamboo so you won't have to worry whether it will shrink or swell over time.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Solomon_pipes wrote:I have been making an ebonite sleeve with integral "cap" to line the mortise of a bamboo pipe. It is a much tighter and stable fit to the ss tubing.
wdteipen wrote:I do the same as Joe and turn a sleeve that includes the band/cap. Ebonite is much more stable than bamboo so you won't have to worry whether it will shrink or swell over time.

I will try playing around with that further down the line. Thanks for the idea.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

caskwith wrote:To remove the super glue run the drill bit back down the air hole. In future if you want to put super glue in the mortise use a cotton bud (q-tip)
Thanks caskwith. I will work on getting it all out today. Q-tip is good. As soon as I noticed super glue in my chamber I knew it wasn't the smartest way to fix the problem.

Kiel
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

wdteipen wrote:I do the same as Joe and turn a sleeve that includes the band/cap. Ebonite is much more stable than bamboo so you won't have to worry whether it will shrink or swell over time.

FWIW, this method is introducing another problem. I have a pipe in my shop that I am repairing for a good customer because this little cap pulled out of the bamboo. Just a heads up. (It wasn't made by anyone in this thread.)
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Tyler wrote:

FWIW, this method is introducing another problem. I have a pipe in my shop that I am repairing for a good customer because this little cap pulled out of the bamboo. Just a heads up. (It wasn't made by anyone in this thread.)

I'm still going to focus on making stems, my transitions with the bamboo, and briar before I start playing with sleeves. It is good to know when I do start playing with sleeves Tyler can fix them for me :thumbsup:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

kamkiel wrote:
Tyler wrote:

I'm still going to focus on making stems, my transitions with the bamboo, and briar before I start playing with sleeves. It is good to know when I do start playing with sleeves Tyler can fix them for me :thumbsup:

With George not posting someone has to be the resident repairman. :D