Drilling and turning video.

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
oklahoma red

Re: Drilling and turning video.

Post by oklahoma red »

Thomas Tkach wrote:Not available in my country. Stupid third world USA.
Chris,
I think he's referring to the video. When you click the link in your first message it takes you to a blank YouTube screen that says the "video is not available in your country."
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

oklahoma red wrote:
Chris,
I think he's referring to the video. When you click the link in your first message it takes you to a blank YouTube screen that says the "video is not available in your country."
Yes I understood, hence my comment, I know for a fact that people in the US have seen the video, including people on this forum as indicated by the comments on this post.
As far as I am aware no settings have changed, could other users confirm this problem so I can deal with it.

EDIT: Just checked with youtube, there was a copyright claim (because of the radio in the background!) that blocked it in certain countries, I am currently attempting to remove this.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

caskwith wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:
Chris,
Yes I understood, hence my comment, I know for a fact that people in the US have seen the video, including people on this forum as indicated by the comments on this post.
As far as I am aware no settings have changed, could other users confirm this problem so I can deal with it.

EDIT: Just checked with youtube, there was a copyright claim (because of the radio in the background!) that blocked it in certain countries, I am currently attempting to remove this.
Roger that. I thought at first he could not find the cutter you were using.
Definitely do not want to be playing any music that the public can hear or you might find yourself paying royalties to ASCAP or BMI or somebody.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

oklahoma red wrote:
Roger that. I thought at first he could not find the cutter you were using.
Definitely do not want to be playing any music that the public can hear or you might find yourself paying royalties to ASCAP or BMI or somebody.
Yeah irritating really, I learnt after my first couple of vids to turn the radio off when filming.
OldCorps

Post by OldCorps »

Yep, I'm getting the same thing
Life is too short to be drinking cheap whiskey, smoking bad tobacco, and failing to constantly strive for perfection.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Working now?
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

caskwith wrote:Working now?
It is for me.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Excellent!
Massis

Post by Massis »

Same here, didn't work last time but it shows now.

Darned your lathe runs smooth! My Super 7 is a piece of crap with hybrid parts from an ML7 and compared to yours, mine sounds like a freight train crashing at full speed. Too bad I don't have the money to restore it to it's proper glory :-( (Would set me back around 2-3000 EUR at least...)
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Plenty of oil and good adjustment ;)

Oh and linked belts REALLY help.
Massis

Post by Massis »

caskwith wrote:Plenty of oil and good adjustment ;)

Oh and linked belts REALLY help.
How about having all the parts? There's quite a few shims missing, (adjustment) screws destroyed, the crosssled is from an ML 7 (making it nearly impossible to have it run smooth but free of play) , I don't have the thread cutting gear set, the cover is cracked and missing parts, the belt cover is broken, ...
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: BUT, it still is a Myford!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

All the (correct) parts help too lol.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Charl wrote::lol: BUT, it still is a Myford!
Exactly! :lol:

The reason I bought is threefold: firstly it looked in decent shape on first look, secondly I had never seen a metal lathe in person up to then, nor had I ever used one and lastly, it was cheap at €400 (most second hand Myford Super7's start at around €1000, nice ones going up to €4000 and over)

But hey, it's helped me made quite a few things so far and there's no play in the headstock, so that's nice.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

You can also still get parts pretty easy (though not always cheap) so you could replace the gibs, cross slide etc.
Massis

Post by Massis »

I know where to get them, but like I said: it would cost me a ton to fix.
I basicly need nearly a complete new apron,carriage and topslide, half a new headstock, new covers, etc...

Money will be spent better on another super 7 in good condition, selling this one, but I don't have that kind of money :-)
Charl

Post by Charl »

In my opinion the Super 7 should be better suited to our type of work than the ML7, in any case.
But that's only my humble opinion. At the moment I use my ML7 only for stemwork and the Emco for stummels.