Zulu Shaping Suggestions

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
swilly

Zulu Shaping Suggestions

Post by swilly »

Hey you all,

I've been working on a zulu for the past two days and I'm at a point where I think I can begin sanding up in grits. However, as this is a gift for a friend, I really hope to get the shape right. It's not sitting quite flat at the moment so I know I need to even out the bottom of the pipe. It's also a touch lumpy around the bowl, but those are all minor fine-tuning I know I must do. I'm primarily looking for suggestions on the bowl/shank junction or anything else major. If it means anything, I've been looking at Dunhill Zulus as my reference.

Thanks!
Best,
Alex
jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: Zulu Shaping Suggestions

Post by jogilli »

go study Rad's Zulu
swilly

Post by swilly »

D'oh! How could I have forgotten! Thanks!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I would take more meat off the bowl/shank transition at the top. A Zulu doesn't need defined sides, that's kinda what makes it a Zulu, but you could take material off the top line like you would a normal Dublin shape.
swilly

Post by swilly »

Thanks for the advice! I will keep that in mind for the next zulu I make. I'm on the final staining/sanding/shellacing step already :/.

I DID remove and smooth out the top of the bowl/shank transition some, but doing a side-by-side comparison of then and now, I probably could have removed even more material. I have to finish this pipe before the night is over, so I'm unable to strip it back down.

Best,
Alex