shaoing a zulu

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
kamkiel

shaoing a zulu

Post by kamkiel »

I started making a Zulu, but niw I don't know how to finish it. I went back online to look at pictures and found all kinds of different zulus. Some had oval shanks and some circular, some where kind of lazy and relaxed where the bowl and shank meet while others were pretty well defined, some had straighter stems some curvy. I would really appreciate some advice as to what direction I should go with mine, particularly a more "tradition style" if it is still possible.

Thanks,

Kiel
Attachments
IMG_20150305_181312_1425553418992.jpg
(48.72 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
IMG_20150305_181018_1425553375859.jpg
IMG_20150305_181018_1425553375859.jpg (81.44 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
Ocelot55

Re: shaoing a zulu

Post by Ocelot55 »

What you have there is a horn. Not bad looking though. Bowl is too tall for a traditional Zulu.

To me, a Zulu is like a canted Dublin with a slightly bent stem, an oval shank, and gradual transition from shank to bowl on the sides. The transition on top, on the other hand, is still fairly defined.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Ocelot55 wrote:What you have there is a horn. Not bad looking though. Bowl is too tall for a traditional Zulu.

To me, a Zulu is like a canted Dublin with a slightly bent stem, an oval shank, and gradual transition from shank to bowl on the sides. The transition on top, on the other hand, is still fairly defined.
Thanks. I actually got up this morning, saw that there wasn't a response to my (misspelled) post, and then bolted over to the workshop to see what I could do with it. I pretty much have it done, just finishing a few things with it. Whatever it turns out to be, I'll post it up in the gallery for everyone to make fun of.

I saw some pictures of a comoy zulu and it looked the shank was circular and had (possibly) a longer stem. Regardless, they look like a fun shape and I would really like to make a nice one.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction,
Kiel
socrates

Post by socrates »

I like what you have done. I am partial to the shape. If you didn't live so far away I would offer to buy it as is. I would finish it in black/yellow contrasting.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks. I have already finished it, and I will be taking it back to the shop it hopefully make some further corrections on it that Latakialover had pointed out to after I posted in the gallery. Glad you like it though!

Kiel
sparkyspipes

Post by sparkyspipes »

Nice looking pipe lines! The Zulu as a angled top if I remember right, and normally that's not the case lol. But no matter what you want to call it, its a good looking pipe, I would go with a rich brown or a brown with red tint like moccasin brown. What ever color you chose it will look good.
sparky (sparkyspipes)
The Pipe Carvers Guild
thepipecarversguild.com
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sparkys.home.3
Web Site: http://sparkyspipes.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SparkysPipes
instagram: sparkyspipes