Cavalier drilling

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
RDPowell

Cavalier drilling

Post by RDPowell »

I've been thinking about doing a Cavalier because I collect them and have always like there looks somehow.
There are several different drilling's among Cavaliers I've noticed, one that the draft and drain hole intersect at the bottom of the pipe and ones at the top, including some drafts are just drilled straight through from top to bottom of shank and then a hole from the base of the tobacco chamber to draft.
Yeah, here he goes over thinking again but, please let me entertain you a bit. I'm one who hates a pipe that a cleaner wont pass with the stem on, I like to run a cleaner through my pipes after each smoke without having to wait till it cools and having to pull the stem, Yes I'm lazy. That said is why I would like advice from you all of wisdom on the subject of drilling a Cav so it will take a pipe cleaner from stem to the bowl. Is it possible, I don't rightly know but, I've draw up what I THINK might work and not affect the smoke. What your thoughts please?

rdpipes.briar.club
Massis

Re: Cavalier drilling

Post by Massis »

How will you clean the bottom part before it cools? Even moreso: what use does it have this way?

If you drill it the classic way: all the way vertical and then connect the bowl by drilling from the bowl into that airway, you can both run a cleaner from the stem all the way to the bottom as wel as one from the bowl into the airway, so you can clean all of it without taking it apart...

No, it won't pass a pipecleaner from stem through the bowl, but because of the alignment of the bowl with the small airway behind it (they are in a straight line), you can perfectly clean all of the pipe without disassembling it.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Massis wrote:How will you clean the bottom part before it cools? Even moreso: what use does it have this way?

If you drill it the classic way: all the way vertical and then connect the bowl by drilling from the bowl into that airway, you can both run a cleaner from the stem all the way to the bottom as wel as one from the bowl into the airway, so you can clean all of it without taking it apart...

No, it won't pass a pipecleaner from stem through the bowl, but because of the alignment of the bowl with the small airway behind it (they are in a straight line), you can perfectly clean all of the pipe without disassembling it.
Not to sound argumentative, but, I don't pull the stem when smoke a reverse Calabash to clean the air chamber, I just slip a cleaner through the stem to the bowl. At the end of the month I do all the extensive cleaning.
But, I understand what your saying, maybe I'm just complicating the mechanics to make it easier for me to pass a cleaner from stem to bowl and only have to do it once.
So your saying that the cleaner will travel down the drain hole instead of the draft to the bowl the way I have it drawn?
rdpipes.briar.club
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Well, It seems I was correct about one thing, I can't turn a fricken Cavalier on my lathe :banghead:
Too dadburn short of jaws on my chuck, can't swing the block to drill the chamber hole unless I take it off the pins.
Hell, I didn't want to make a Fricken Cavalier anyway. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
andrew

Post by andrew »

You could use a drill press if you have one.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

andrew wrote:You could use a drill press if you have one.
Yeah, that's no fricken fun.
I'll think about it but, until then I'll just make a bulldog, what could possibly go wrong with that. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

If you wish to run a pipe cleaner from stem to bowl, why are you making a cavalier? Your design defeats the whole purpose of the cavalier design, which is to create a kind of sump for any moisture to collect in so that you should not need to run a cleaner to the bowl.

If you are dead set on making a cavalier that you can run a cleaner all the way to the bowl, I would suggest that you drill it just like any other pipe, without the reservoir, and just shape it into a faux cavalier.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

WCannoy wrote:If you wish to run a pipe cleaner from stem to bowl, why are you making a cavalier? Your design defeats the whole purpose of the cavalier design, which is to create a kind of sump for any moisture to collect in so that you should not need to run a cleaner to the bowl.

If you are dead set on making a cavalier that you can run a cleaner all the way to the bowl, I would suggest that you drill it just like any other pipe, without the reservoir, and just shape it into a faux cavalier.
Thank you Walt, I gave up on it, on to new things now.
But, thank you for the advice. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club