Preparing for first pipe...

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
RaymondS

Preparing for first pipe...

Post by RaymondS »

Hello all,

Just joined recently and have been lurking to try to prepare for making my first turd, er, pipe. First off, I am not expecting to produce a master work. I hope only to make the best first pipe that I can and to learn from the mistakes that I make.

My question is regarding the pipe kit that I got.

From what reading and research I have done, in most classic shapes, the length of the shank is usually supposed to be relatively close to the height of the bowl. This kit, however, has a somewhat shorter shank. Is there a shape that would work with the kit I have, or should I forget about the proportions and just make a pipe and learn the basics first? As I said, I'm not expecting high-end pipe, just want to put all of the planning and effort into it that any project deserves.

Thanks!

Ray
Ratimus

Re: Preparing for first pipe...

Post by Ratimus »

Why not make the bowl shorter to match the shank?
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by sandahlpipe »

It's hard to know if you hit your mark if you're not sure what you're aiming at. If you want to make a classic shape, pick a specific shape, draw it on paper till you're happy with it, then make exactly what you drew. Take your time and remove everything that doesn't look like the pipe you've envisioned. Worrying about proportions is just part of having a clear target.

And if you miss on your first shot, try it again. It's just like sighting in a rifle, except it takes a bit longer. ;-)
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Just go for it my friend. Have fun and learn. Ask questions through the process and/or after.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah don't overthink your first pipe, man. It's gonna be all sorts of fun, but you can only control so many variables with a pipe kit. That's why eventually a guy gets to where he's working with blocks and rods - total control. For now, see if you can make something that looks a bit like a pipe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with Premal and Sas. Just have at it. It will be easier to adjust the height of the bowl to match the length of the shank. Have fun.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Mtlayne

Post by Mtlayne »

thats what i like to hear.
Sasquatch wrote:Yeah don't overthink your first pipe, man. It's gonna be all sorts of fun, but you can only control so many variables with a pipe kit. That's why eventually a guy gets to where he's working with blocks and rods - total control. For now, see if you can make something that looks a bit like a pipe.
As much as I read about the right and wrongs of pipe making, in the end, if im happy with it and it smokes thats all that matters for me!
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Do what SAS and Premal suggest.I was cleaning my pipe cabinet and found a pipe I made over 30 or more yrs ago. Things of course caught my eye and here we go. Instead of working today, I'm changing things on this pipe.In short, your knowledge and skills, along with tastes change!!!Have fun!!!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

If you don't like the shape when you get there, shorten the bowl to more pleasing (to you) proportions.
I don't know what tools that you are using for shaping, but this could be as simple as holding it against your rough shaping wheel.
The only thing you can't do is put is put wood back.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy