Drilling Speeds

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Rbraniganpipes

Drilling Speeds

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a drilling speed chart available, or if anyone could help me figure out what speeds would be best for drilling certain things. I know most of you use lathes, but I am only able to work with a drill press. I don't know if speeds would vary between the two, but was hoping someone might be able to enlighten me.

For example, I just purchased a forester bit set, and learned that they are to be used at slower speeds.
Looking to find out what speeds you use for:
Chamber bits
Mortise hole
Air hole
Countersink
Any other drilling that you can think of.

Cheers.
R.Branigan Pipes
LatakiaLover

Re: Drilling Speeds

Post by LatakiaLover »

The size of the hole matters as much as the material. Bigger = slower.

What available speeds do you have available on your DP?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

I have the ability to drill at the following speeds:
R.Branigan Pipes
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ouch.

570 and 900 are the only ones you'll have much use for in pipe making, I'm afraid.

Try every operation using 570 first, and don't go faster if you are happy with the result. If you do think going faster is necessary, use caution, and watch out for heat build-up.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

If you keep your bits as sharp as you are capable of making them there is no need for high rpm. Let the tool do the work and there will be very little heat build up. Forcing a dull bit at high speeds is just asking for burned holes.
sethile

Post by sethile »

I agree with George, your 570 setting is going to be your best bet for all your drilling. My experience is that's actually a pretty good speed, and about where I end up on the lathe for stummel drilling. The only time I drill faster than that is in ebonite, and then I have to focus on a faster feed rate to keep the chips clear. My guess is 570 will be too fast for acrylic, but will work for most other pipe making materials...

Another variable to play with is feed rate. Your best feed rate for drilling a clean hole is usually when the chips are just clearing the drill at the outside surface you're drilling. If chips start to climb the drill past the surface, you're feed rate is too fast, and you're running the risk of too much heat build up.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Feed rate and clearing chips is more important in most applications than your actual spindle speed.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I grew up in a bowling alley and have drilled a fair number of bowling balls with a drill press. My stepdad taught me something that came in really handy when I started making pipes. He had a shopvac that he had cut a notch in the end of the hose. When he drilled he would hold that over the hole and it sucked out the chips. You have to watch your feed rate, but at least you don't have to worry about chips getting under your bit.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

I'm probably a dimwit, but I've set my lathe up at around 1000rpm and do pretty much EVERYthing at that speed, turning, facing, drilling, some sanding, polishing, ...
I drill all kinds of material at that speed, be it wood, aluminium, acrylic or ebonite.

Changing speeds is just takes too much time to my liking as I need to remove the cover, loosen the tension wheel, force the belt onto a different wheel combo, put the tension wheel back and close the cover.

What has had a much bigger impact on my drilling results is the addition of decent cutting oil! Since I've bought a bottle of Phantom cutting oil, I can drill acrylic at an incredible rate without fear of it bonding and locking up, it works wonders!
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Thanks for the tips everyone!
I had my drill press set at 1390 and never thought about how it was drilling until recently. I was having trouble with my chamber bits getting too hot and getting stuck, and not cutting well. Last night I slowed my drill press down to the two lowest settings of 900 and 570, and had a much better result, with very clean holes, probably the cleanest I have drilled yet. I greatly appreciate all of the advice!
R.Branigan Pipes
Charl

Post by Charl »

Basically: any drilling as slow as possible, any turning as fast as possible.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

probably higher speeds are ok on a drill press since there isn't a off balanced block spinning
I drill all my pipes on the drill press around the 1000rpm rate but always turn it down real slow for using a ground spade bit in chambers
chip clearing every 1/4" and waxing s&d bits with carnauba helps. drill bits with plugged flutes create a ton of heat and pressure. hot=too fast