Another Frankenpipe- if you don't want to see a "shop Pipe",

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
DocAitch

Another Frankenpipe- if you don't want to see a "shop Pipe",

Post by DocAitch »

Another Frankenpipe. Again, I delved into my box of discards from years ago and came up with a potentially beautiful bowl that had a messed up shank. This time I had tried to drill a vent hole at too steep an angle, went in too high on the chamber, and because of the acute angle, had an elongated entry into the chamber.
My task was to re enter the bowl to take out the elongated draft hole and still leave enough briar in the area to shape.
After drilling with 5/16"pilot and counterbore with beveled mortise.The larger hole on the left is the entry into the chamber
Piece of scrap briar turned and fitted to the bowl.
Stem piece be sanded to fit bottom of chamber. If I ever do this again, I will turn the briar tenon longer and carefully fit it to bowl. As it is, there is a small void between the end of the tenon and the bowl. I could use a coating to cover this, but this pipe is unlikely to be smoked because my son wants it and he doesn"t smoke.
ImageImage
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
CondorPipes

Re: Another Frankenpipe- if you don't want to see a "shop Pi

Post by CondorPipes »

WOW Doc that is one hell of a pipe resurrection. Beautiful shop pipe!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Thanks. I was surprised to see this come up after almost a year. I had been working with 40 yo scraps and odds and sods after setting up my lathe and drill press. It was a fun exercise to get my hand back in.
I have since gotten some new briar from various sources and started cutting stems from rod.
DocAitch
Last edited by DocAitch on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
CondorPipes

Post by CondorPipes »

DocAitch wrote:Thanks. I was surprised to see this come up after almost a year. I had been working with 40 yo scraps and odds and sods after setting up my lathe and drill press. It was a fun exercise to get my hand back in.
I have since gotten some new briar from various sources and started cutting stems from rod?
DocAitch
Doc I just came across your pics. Being new to the forum I guess I'm making all kinds of "new" discoveries LOL. Just thought it was cool that you made something out if it other then firewood.