Very Beginner Questions

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
PremalChheda

Re: Very Beginner Questions

Post by PremalChheda »

1) when you guys drill a block, do you drill the mortise & airway first or after the chamber? and the "why?"
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=209

2)for those that do hand cut, do you cut the bowl shape first or the shank?
This is a good question to ask if the knowledge is not there. It really depends on the shape that is being made. I think most people shape the entire pipe together. A little off here and there.

3)staining: I have heard and read a little about using a darker stain at first to identify scratches and to make the grain more pronounced. is there any reason not to do like this? are there stains to stay away from?
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=117&hilit=staining

4)buffing the finished pipe: what's the difference between Tripoli and White Diamond? do these stand up better on the finish than carnauba wax?
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=34&hilit=tripoli
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69&hilit=tripoli

I am sure there is a lot more information, but this only took less than 4 minutes to find.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Massis

Post by Massis »

PremalChheda wrote: I am sure there is a lot more information, but this only took less than 4 minutes to find.
which you should note, is less time than it takes for you to wait for someone to answer your topic, which usually takes hours.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

A while back Tyler wrote a post about some of the negative aspects of the forum that were driving people away from PMF (whether right or wrong). I think he was correct when he mentioned that referring people to the search function can feel like a dismissal instead of a helpful direction. I personally have never felt that kind of negativity, but we all perceive things differently. It can be pretty intimidating to join any forum with knowledgeable people and proceed to ask questions that the inquirer himself know to be basic. I think we should at least be aware that people can feel shut down by a response like that.

Of course, most of us who have been on the forum for 5 years or more have literally answered the same questions dozens of times, but I think it might be better to simply not respond than to (potentially) offend someone with a curt answer. There are a lot of experience on this forum, but if we drive people away (again, intentionally or not) then newcomers will feel like this is an elitist, closed club. I don't think any of us want that.

Additionally, I have met a number of people on this forum in person, and they are all kind and engaging people. The notable exception being Sas; he's just a terrible human being. :)
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

e Markle wrote:The notable exception being Sas; he's just a terrible human being. :)
Evolutionary biologists disagree about whether Homo sapiens sapiens could successfully breed with Homo sapiens sasquatchii. Until such an experiment is conducted referring to him as a human being is problematic.

Seeing how his behavior to date when encountering humans---male or female---has been to pop their heads off, eat the tastier parts, and rifle through their backpacks looking for hockey tickets and beer, the question is likely to remain unanswered for some time.

Sorry to be pedantic, Ernie, but there you go. :( (Technical accuracy and seriousness at all times has become Job #1 on this board since you went full time and stopped dropping by regularly.)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

LatakiaLover wrote:
e Markle wrote:
Sorry to be pedantic, Ernie, but there you go.

Pedantry on the topic of Sas is not only acceptable but entirely welcome as well. :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

At least I only eat the tastier parts. I'd hate to be thought of as a mere gourmand.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!