Bamboo

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
WillAndersonpipes

Bamboo

Post by WillAndersonpipes »

I was wondering if all bamboo needs to be lined throughout the entire length of the shank or is it just the Buddha belly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Bamboo

Post by baweaverpipes »

With bamboo, I normally line the briar/bamboo to about 1/2" with stainless steel.............Buddha or regular. The channel in both are rather small and I drill 5/32", then 3/16" for the stainless steel tubing. I have used 1/4" Delrin when I have a large piece of bamboo...............especially Buddha.
On spotted bamboo, since it usually has a large id, I line with briar.
WillAndersonpipes

What I was planning on doing was using the stainless steel at the junction of the stummel and bamboo extension, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary to line the rest of the bamboo. I have been told that if Buddha belly is left without a liner it will crack, but I wasn't sure about the bamboo root

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Dunhill Whangees were unlined and lasted 100 years. They had a pinned brass connection, but that's all, as far as I can tell, and having talked with a few collectors.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

WillAndersonpipes wrote:What I was planning on doing was using the stainless steel at the junction of the stummel and bamboo extension, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary to line the rest of the bamboo. I have been told that if Buddha belly is left without a liner it will crack, but I wasn't sure about the bamboo root

You'll be fine with what you describe. The "normal" bamboo does not need to be lined, unless it's extremely small diameter or it has lots of pits, flecks, discoloration, etc.
WillAndersonpipes

Alright sweet thanks guys