Drilling Videos

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
whitebar

Drilling Videos

Post by whitebar »

Tyler,

The drilling videos are first rate! You are really offering a valuable tool for beginning pipemakers. I wish I could have seen this when I first purchased my lathe. It would have saved me a bunch of time as the school of hard knocks seems to take awhile.

Watching the videos brings a question to my mind. I have a Delta 4 jaw chuck (with 2 jaws removed) for my Jet lathe and it seems to take forever to get everything lined up. Your chuck made things look easier. Is that operator efficiency or is your chuck just easy to use? What kind is it?
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Thanks Stephen. Glad you like it! I have the complete drilling, turning and shaping of the hawkbill on video, I just need to get the whole thing edited.

The chuck I am using is a OneWay scroll chuck. It is self-centering, so that makes it relatively easy to operate. I have really big hands, so that probably helps operate the rather awkward two-rod tightening system. Here's a link to the chuck I use, though I did not get it from this source. Just providing the link for identification:

http://miva3.synergydns.net/Merchant2/m ... acc-oneway

As you can see, it is expensive. Almost as much as I paid for the lathe itself. I bought it used for a good price, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it. The jaws are so short that it does not look like a good chuck for the job. It turns out they work surprisingly well though.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

And if you have meaty German hands, you can tighten that thing down so far that the block couldn't move if you made a horrendus slip-up and wedged a gouge between it and the tool rest.

Ask me how I know. 8O
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I was fortunate enough to barter for my Jet lathe and Oneway chuck in exchange for drawing lessons. You cannot go wrong with the Oneway. It is well worth the money.

One major difference I see between the Delta that Tyler was using and my jet is that the access door to the belts is in front. On the jet it is in back and a bit of a pain to change speeds.
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Artguy,

You are right about the backdoor access on the Jet being a pain. I solved the problem by building a large island style table that I have set up with several work stations. The legs have locking casters so I can move it out of the way if I need to. My Jet lathe station is at one end of the table so I can just step around to the side and change the belts. It looks something like this from a bird's eye view:

l l l l
l ----- l
l__________________________ l

In addition to the Jet station, I have stations on the table for my bandsaw, Taig, belt sander, grinder, and an area that will become my sanding station.
Stephen

Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

For some reason, the new files i can't view...

Any suggestions?

I'm on a MAC but I could view the stem turning videos without a problem...
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jeff, you need to either:
- install Windows Media Player ( http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ )
or
- install VideoLAN Client ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ )

I've done the latter, but have not actually had a chance to view Tyler's videos. VLC isn't foolproof, and it doesn't support *all* the CODECs out there, but it comes close.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Yes I updated to the new Windows Media Player last week, but with the 3 new video files, I only get sound... I hear Tyler, but the screen is black!

Wierd... :evil:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wierd. Well, if it's any consolation, the Windows Media Player guys that develop the software and CODECs for the Windows version, are pretty much a seperate business entity from the guys that develop the OS X version. Rarely do the two units ever exchange info.

Hmm. That's no consolation is it? Well, at least you understand the reason why, anyway. :)
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jeff,

You can still see the old videos though?

I don't know what might be different about them. Oh wait! I think I have upgraded Movie Maker between the first videos and the most recent ones. I have no idea why that might matter, but that is the main change.

I don't know what the issue might be though. :?

Tyler
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Tyler,

Yes, I can see the other ones, but not the Stummel Drilling Section ones...

Strange... I'm going to try a few other things, but I'll let you know...
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Jeffery,

I've got Windows Media Player 9.0.0 on my Mac and the new videos work fine. Maybe getting that version will help.
Stephen