Tobacco chamber shapes. . .

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Macbean

Tobacco chamber shapes. . .

Post by Macbean »

As I attempt to perfect my technique (Ha! Now there's a concept!) in stummel drilling and aligning all the holes, I recently put a 3/4-inch round nose router bit in my lathe tailstock to drill the tobacco chamber. The hole was beautiful and smooth, but it later occurred to me that maybe this was an improper shape, producing, as it did, a perfect 'U'. Most of my pipes have a tapered tobacco chamber, except for a huge, really ugly German-made Churchwarden which has a 'U' shaped chamber, and smokes beautifully (I'd smoke it more often if I didn't have to look at it).

Do any of you have thoughts or preferences about the shape of the tobacco chamber? Does one shape function better than the other?

Thanks, guys. . .

Michael
sandahlpipe

Re: Tobacco chamber shapes. . .

Post by sandahlpipe »

This is one of those things you need to try and find out. A slight taper along the walls of the chamber is more common. Shaping a spade bit on a grinder isn't too difficult.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't think it matters a hell of a lot exactly what the shape is. :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

The tapered chamber allows a bit more freedom with the external shape of the pipe. A Dublin with a "U" shaped bowl will have thinner walls at the bottom of the "U", while it won't matter with a poker or billiard.
I also read some comment that "the tobacco flavor becomes concentrated " at the bottom of the tapered chamber. I've never noticed a difference.
Spade bits are cheap and as Jeremiah notes, you can grind your own shapes- keep several around.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

The chamber bit I use on at least 90% of my pipes is a 20mm "U" shape.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with Sas in that I don't really think it matters a huge amount as far as smoking quality goes. A rounded 'U' shape is perfectly acceptable. I've come to really like the parabolic shape and use it most of the time these days but it's more a personal preference than anything.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I freqently drill with more than one bit, I frequently modify the shape of the chamber by hand... I think as long as you can get tobacco in it and it comes to some kind of slightly roundish bottom, it'll be okay.

That said I just sold a pipe to a guy and it had a 3/4" tapered chamber and he's raving about it compared to the 13/16" u-bottom chamber on his other two pipes, so maybe 6" long rusticated pipes need a 3/4" taper after all....
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Macbean

Post by Macbean »

Thanks, guys. for your helpful responses. Apparently, the consensus is that I'm overthinking a problem that doesn't exist. Bloody story of my life. And I've reground a spade bit and it's ready for a trial run. Thanks again. . .

Michael
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Sasquatch wrote:I freqently drill with more than one bit, I frequently modify the shape of the chamber by hand... I think as long as you can get tobacco in it and it comes to some kind of slightly roundish bottom, it'll be okay.

That said I just sold a pipe to a guy and it had a 3/4" tapered chamber and he's raving about it compared to the 13/16" u-bottom chamber on his other two pipes, so maybe 6" long rusticated pipes need a 3/4" taper after all....
i was just going to comment that I prefer a tapered bowl when smoking. It seems to burn to the bottom more consistantly, and i feel like when i do get to the bottom i actually enjoyed the last 1/4 bowl a little more. Maybe the smaller diameter at the bottom allows the burning tobacco to ignite the unburnt more easily, rather than having burning tobacco in a 3/8" circle surrounded by a ring of tobacco that isnt smoldering. Im sure there are an equal number of guys that hate conical chambers. thats how the whole pipe community works.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Tobacco chamber shapes are like opinions. Everybody has theirs, and they are either good, bad, or meh.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies