Dark Discoloration in Briar

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
DocAitch

Dark Discoloration in Briar

Post by DocAitch »

I have run into a dark discoloration in a couple of my stummels. I don't believe that I've seen this before,and a quick, (incomplete) search didn't turn up anything..
I have 6 others in the group that don't show this phenomenon . Both pipes come from the same block of briar, and the dark areas were adjacent. The briar works the same as the non darkened area, it doesn't appear to be softer than the adjacent material.
This roughly how the two stummels were situated in the block.
These are both destined for the give away pile due to technical errors, but I would prefer to finish them smooth, as the grain is lovely.
Any thoughts on the origin of the dark areas themselves?
And aside from blasting them (for which I am not set up), any recommendations for finishing them smooth?
Thanks,
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
wdteipen

Re: Dark Discoloration in Briar

Post by wdteipen »

I don't really know what causes it but I've had blocks similar. They don't stain evenly. Best thing you can do if you're intending to sell them is to rusticate or sandblast them. The discoloration won't be noticeable once rusticated or sandblasted and stained.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I thought that that would be the recommendation.
Due to some technical problems, they would not be for sale. I can hang on to them, finish them smooth, see what happens and blast them when I am set up.
Thanks
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I've only seen this in Algerian blocks, and I don't know if it's a soil conditions thing or an incomplete boil/cure thing. It is however, an ugly thing. :( Sometimes you'll get a spot of slightly pinker super hard wood on the inside portion of a burl, but I don't think that's what you are seeing here.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!