Chuck Question

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Oscarsson

Chuck Question

Post by Oscarsson »

Hello

Was looking on google books and found this. https://books.google.no/books?id=nCcDAAAAMBAJ&hl=no on page 181. There is a drawing of a chuck this guy used for several thousands pipe, but would it be anything to use today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Chuck Question

Post by baweaverpipes »

Theoretically, but why use dated tooling when there is better. Try Trent Rudat, he makes fantastic two jaw chucks.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

"Can I use it?" and "Is it any good?" are very different questions.

That looks to be a slight modification of a 4 jaw chuck. Easier to buy a wood-turning chuck like a Oneway and get some jaws for it and screw them on.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Oscarsson

Post by Oscarsson »

Thanks for answers! I am not that good in English, but what I meant was, would it be safe to use in your opinion?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

With any chuck, the biggest thing is probably if you can get the block nice and square so it sits well. That makes it safe. If it's lumpy, it's hard to get ahold of.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

That stem Chuck is cool I got one it still works great Albeit most people didn't have different size lathes.
Same ca be done on a mini lathe
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I checked out your link, very entertaining. I marvel that you found this article.
I note that it is the November 1941 issue, and that the lathe was described as 'ancient' 75 years ago.
The basic mechanism used to turn the stummel is the same as pipe turners use today but the face plate used is different and appears to be somewhat less secure than the tower jaws on a 4 jaw chuck used these days.
Of course a chuck and tower jaws can set you back hundreds of dollars, while the modified face plate could cost considerably less if you have the materials and machining skills to build it.
If you go that route, I would recommend that you wear a face shield while using such a mechanism, because I can almost guarantee that you will have a stummel come loose and fly off during turning.
It will work and if obtaining a modern chuck and tower jaws is beyond your means at this time, then be careful with it.
Good luck
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Charl

Post by Charl »

Very interesting! Thanks for showing.
NevadaBlue

Post by NevadaBlue »

I made the article into a PDF to make it easier to use.

Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eee02zwy93rrr ... g.pdf?dl=0
Ken
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

Instead of making a chuck, convert the same thing to a vise for the drill press. Then use the drill press as a mill to bore out the stummel and drill the airway. Mounted in a 2 way cross slide vise and you have a basic milling machine setup. That way you don't have to wonder when the blank will break loose and slap you upside the head.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

As George will attest you need a really good drill press to do a good work on drilling pipes, most have too much slop in the spindle and too little travel.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

caskwith wrote:As George will attest you need a really good drill press to do a good work on drilling pipes, most have too much slop in the spindle and too little travel.
True, but sometimes the sloppy drill press is because of operator ignorance.

A tune up of the drill press might help. http://www.rvplane.com/pdf/drill_press_tune-up.pdf
NevadaBlue

Post by NevadaBlue »

It would be a pretty sad drill press that had too much slop in the spindle to drill a hole in wood.
Ken
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

There's a big difference between drilling a hole and drilling an accurate hole. It's the mortise hole and face really that I am talking about, chamber and airway not so important.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

This set up here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11115 Is just another version of the chuck/vise that is in the quoted article.

A drill press is a vertical lathe without a tool rest, and a lathe is a horizontal drill press with a tool rest.