Poker outline-progress shot

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
MmmPeace

Poker outline-progress shot

Post by MmmPeace »

This will be my first pipe that I drill myself. I want to make a little chunky poker. Does the template look ok to you all? The draft hole will be a 5/32" tapered bit, 5/16" mortise, and a 3/4" bowl. My drawing is the best but it will work for me.
IMG_6456.JPG
(72.59 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Last edited by MmmPeace on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ocelot55

Re: Poker outline

Post by Ocelot55 »

Two questions/comments, first why not drill the draft hole straight? Sure, it shortens the chamber depth a bit, but you'll have plenty of room on the bottom and it will be easier to do. Second, why a tapered bit for the draft hole? I think 99% of guys around here use a normal straight bit. Makes more sense. Save the tapered bit for stems. Other than that looks fine.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Ocelot55 wrote:Two questions/comments, first why not drill the draft hole straight? Sure, it shortens the chamber depth a bit, but you'll have plenty of room on the bottom and it will be easier to do. Second, why a tapered bit for the draft hole? I think 99% of guys around here use a normal straight bit. Makes more sense. Save the tapered bit for stems. Other than that looks fine.
I agree with Jesse. Single stage drill with a un-tapered bit. If it decreases the bowl depth too much for you then increase the overall height a little.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I like your template except for the tapered drill. Tapered bits are only for the stem. Straight 5/32" or 9/64" for the stummel airway. Drilling the airway at a different angle than the mortise is a bit more tricky but learning that skill at some point is essential to opening up design potential. For a first pipe, drilling the airway and mortise on the same angle would be easier and increase the likelihood of success.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Thanks, guys! I was definitely confused about the tapered bit, not sure what I was thinking... I ended up making the bowl depth shorter and drilling straight in (non-tapered bit :oops: ), I actually like this design much more! That is why I asked, you guys saved me before I began :D In all honesty when I was making my outline I drew the bowl first, then went about making the rest of the pipe match up, didn't even consider making the bowl depth shorter... Live and learn I suppose, again, good thing I asked first! I was able to get the rough shape done last night, and also made my very first acrylic stem (still in rough shape). I am learning as I go and definitely making mistakes, but better sooner than later! One thing that happened to me was the chuck holding my block loosened, my shank is still round but now my stem can only go on one way to fit, I can't rotate it or it looks wonky. Here is a photo of where I am at so far with this.

http://imgur.com/a/3Bxfj
Attachments
poker_progress1.png
(214.98 KiB) Downloaded 10 times