Trouble Finding The Sitting Forward Balance On a Poker

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
shikano53

Trouble Finding The Sitting Forward Balance On a Poker

Post by shikano53 »

I am finding it difficult finding and keeping the forward lean balance on a poker I am working on. I've tried a few before and encountered the same issue. It was OK after I drilled it, fit my stem, did some initial shaping but now it won't sit. The weight behind is pulling it back.
I've tried filing it with a flat file, get oh so close and do a bit more and it disappears.
I've tried sanding it on a flat surface by carefully running the bottom over the paper with more pressure toward the front. Get it so it will sit, but not solidly. Go back and do a bit more and it disappears again.
Any tips on getting that balanced and sitting solidly?
Thank you in advance.
Chris
DocAitch

Re: Trouble Finding The Sitting Forward Balance On a Poker

Post by DocAitch »

I generally start with a thick bottom and then cut the final angle on the bottom last.
A couple of times I’ve had to cut it pretty close, but they are generally smokable.
If you are too close to the chamber, all that you can do is pare down the shank and the stem to get the weight off.
If you had planned on a tapered stem, consider a saddle instead.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Balance is tough, but if you leave some space on the heel to adjust, it helps. Especially with the weight of a stem and shank, the balance usually requires the flat part to be at a steeper angle than you might anticipate. A shorter shank and stem help significantly. As for getting it flat, use a piece of 220 sandpaper on a flat countertop and run it on the heel. You can adjust the pressure to shift the angle slightly.

In the end, unless you’re working from precise measurements on a plan, it’s trial and error and practice makes it faster to see the right angle earlier in the process.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Do you have a photo of the pipe in progress? That might help.

One thing I've found to be true is, if it's not perfectly flat you don't have maximum surface contact and it may not sit properly. You don't want any low spots, especially on the stem side of the bottom.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Gee whiz, I forgot about my post until today. Sorry folks.
Here are a few pictures of where I'm at. I'm still in rough shaping mode. Gotta true my lines top bottom, sides including the stem. I use two pieces of steel from an old drill press. The acrylic stem is an attempt on well, an acrylic stem.
I chopped a lot off the bottom but Doc, your comment about doing it last resonates with me. Thankfully there is lots of briar between the bottom of the airhole and the bottom of the stummel.
Anyway here are a few pics. I am going to bend the stem eventually.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I try to make all my sitters have saddle stems, I try not to make the shank thick - keep it as light as possible on that side, then they sit not bad.

And a little organic forward lean on the shape goes a long way too.

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.
Jeremiah, thanks for the point of leaving yourself some extra briar in case you have to trim more.
Wayne, I've gone through a few blocks because of the issue you pointed out, the bottom not being perfectly flat and then attempting to chase it.
I don't have a piece of glass but I have some material left over from when we had new counter tops installed. Will cut myself a piece to use.
I like the front lean on that sitter Sasquatch.
Kr0lex

Post by Kr0lex »

Hello,
I know this is kind of an old post but the only one i could find fitting to my problem:
I am trying to make a poker and normally i try to make the bottom flat while its still on the lathe to get it perfectly flat. While sanding I made a few mistakes tho which makes it not being perfectly flat anymore and gives it a sliight forward lean. Its really not dramatic but the perfectionist in me wants the bottom to be completely flat. Is there a trick to do that? If read fine sandpaper on a glass plate or super flat surface could work. Is this still the way to go or do you guys have other suggestions?
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Tom Fitzgerald

https://www.instagram.com/kroisspipes/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Yup.

Tape a sheet of sandpaper---along the top only---to a dead flat surface, pull it tight with your non-work-holding hand, and lap the stummel on it.

Keep upping the grit until you're where you want to be.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

There are a couple of points I want to stress here.
The pipe will sit when the center of gravity is between at least 3 points of contact with the surface upon which it sits.
The bottom could look like a 3 legged stool or be perfectly flat (in which case the CG sits in the midst of an infinity of points).
I personally frequently cheat by putting the posterior point of contact out beyond the “normal” area of the bottom.
Todd’s pipe has the rear most point of contact within the “normal” boundaries of the bottom.
R/
Walt
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Kr0lex

Post by Kr0lex »

You guys are amazing. Thx for the super fast and detailed replies. Gonna try that and keep that in mind :)
God i love that place 😁
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Tom Fitzgerald

https://www.instagram.com/kroisspipes/