Plateaux Skin

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Jeffery_Suter

Plateaux Skin

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Hey folks!

The style of my pipe carving has mostly been leaving the plateaux skin in what most would call the "Danish" style. Now, while I have carved several designs one would instantly recognize a "classic" Danish freehand I have also started incorporating the skin into some of my more progressive designs.

I've been experimenting with some less than classic designs and have found that the skin helps give some of the harder lines in the pipe a nice "organic" element that would be lost if I removed it and used a smooth surface...

I really like when carvers use the skin creatively... like volcano's with the skin on the bottom, or on the side... I love what Denny Souers does! Very creative use of the wood...

So, what do you like, do, strive for when it comes to the briar skin? :idea:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I strive to be rid of it!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I suppose this is where you say different strokes, and all...

8)

Tyler
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Tyler,

Why is that I wonder? Can you elaborate? :?

I'm actually about mid-point on 2 pipes (almost done with the roughing) now that I did from extra-extra ebauchons, and while I'm really happy with the quality of the wood and the squaring of the blocks, I think I'd love to see some skin on one of them... it just brings the nature aspect to something that is, essentially, mechanical...
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I actually don't mind it that much. I was overstating it just to mess with you a bit. :) I have done several pipes with the skin intact.

In general though, I prefer pipes without it because the look cleaner and usually more artistic. With plateaux gives pipes the sort of 60's Danish look that I am not fond of.

I suppose the plateaux is just a bit too rustic for my taste. It looks unfinished and unintentional when not done just right, IMO. Plenty of folks like it though!

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I leave it on at times and at time I do not. If I do leave it, it has to be an important element of the design and/or have an intentional look to it.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I do a little of everything. This pipe:
has a little skin left on the top. The customer requested that the rim be rusticated, but I felt that the skin would look much better - thankfully he agreed when he saw it. :)

It really depends on the pipe, the block of briar, and my mood.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Kurt,
I was looking at some of your pipes and i love the "Hammered" rustication you do... Any tips?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Kurt,

I do like that usage of the skin. In fact, the rim of a billiard may be my favorite use of the skin. This thread has me thinking about it, and so far I think that my preference for the skin is to spice classic shapes very much in the style of your pipe.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jeffery_Suter wrote:I was looking at some of your pipes and i love the "Hammered" rustication you do... Any tips?
Trade secret? :) No, no, no, I can't keep that info secret. It's actually very easy. I have a large-ish dremel bit that's ball-ended and conical - I can probably get the bit number if you're interested. I crank my dremel up to top speed, use a flexible shaft, and just go to town. I don't do anything more than just give the bit a nudge in a random direction. I just use enough pressure to keep it from chattering and tearing the grain.
Tyler wrote:I do like that usage of the skin. In fact, the rim of a billiard may be my favorite use of the skin. This thread has me thinking about it, and so far I think that my preference for the skin is to spice classic shapes very much in the style of your pipe.
Thanks, Tyler. I've used the skin in other shapes, freehands mostly. While I realize that there's a market for that, I don't see myself doing very much of it in the future. I like using it as in that billiard much more - as a spice. I have some other ideas for using the skin, but I think Kent Rasmussen already has the trademark on that, so I'm reluctant to use it. Like this pipe:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That depends. I think. Emulation of people that have had a huge influence on you is to be expected.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Gatorade,

You bring up a topic ripe for discussion on mimicing styles of carvers we admire. Would you be willing to start that in a new thread? I think it is a very worthwhile discussion, and I think much could come of it.

Tyler
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Kurt,

Thanks very much for the info! I've used that same technique, but only on Meerschaum, so I'll have to try it on Briar...

Thanks Again!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Glad I could help! Speaking of Meerschaum... er, actually, I'll start another thread abou that....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com