Band Saws

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Jeffery_Suter

Band Saws

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

After doing a search of the site, I was a bit surprised that there were no band saw topics... so here goes...

I'm getting a Delta 9 in. Band Saw this week and was wondering about your opinions on band saws in general?

Any tips in the general use with a band saw with briar?

I've been told that a 3/8 inch blade would be best for briar... so I'll start with that. Thoughts?

Also, I've seen that many folks will use aftermarket parts. Generally "Blade Guides" which look larger and much more beefy. Most of the aftermarket Guides I've seen cost more than what the band saw is costing me... I assume they will make all the difference in the world to the machine, but would I notice since I will be working exclusivly with cutting stummels of briar, and not ripping lumber?

I would apreciate any thoughts...
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

I use a 1/4 inch blade, you can make tighter turns with smaller blades.
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Kirk,

Thank you!

Question, how many teeth per inch on the 1/4 in blade do you use? It seems from my research that 6 teeth per inch is the standard....

Thanks again!
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Thanks Random... Needless to say, no matter what blade I decide is good for me, I'm not going to miss that coping saw :twisted:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I use a 3/8" bade on mine with a coarse tooth pattern. I make mostly straight cuts, and need the stability of the larger blade. I also just like the speed of the coarse blade - 6tpi I think.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Ditto what Kurt said.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I suppose I should qualify my response. I don't own a band saw, but my father-in-law does, and I use his, as well as his scoll saw, drill press, belt sander ....and just about any other big tool used.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I cannot speak for that particular piece of equipment, but I have owned other products with Grizzly's name on them, and they're mostly junk. Woodturning chisels, chucks, sanders, etc. They're essentially the same thing as Harbor Freight tools - rebranded Chinese stuff.
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

All 3 of my buffers were made in China, and they work great, (I paid 7.00 for one of them 8O )

However, if I could get the same product made in the USA for less than $40, I would...
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Sorry guys. That wasn't meant as a comment on the quality of Chinese stuff - only as an illustration that the stuff is basically the same wether it's Grizzly or Harbor Freight (or any other seller of inexpensive tools). The manufacturer is the same, only the nameplate is different.

I will say that my experience with the rebranded Chinese stuff is not good. You may interpret that however you see fit.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Kurt,

I'm sure I'll get my 7 bucks worth of my buffers :lol:

I also know that I too have had my fair share of crap equipment from China, so no offence at all...

It's kinda like a dice shoot with machinery, you just hope for the 7 and not the snake eyes (I've had more than my fair share of those) :evil:
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I think the asian stuff is hit or miss. My Jet was most likely made by some 15 year old Taiwanese girl and it works fine. So does my Chinese belt sander and band saw.

Chinese turning tools are garbage. I don't know what metal they are using but it is certainly not the same as the British tools.

My oneway scroll chuck is Canadian and it rocks! Best buy in my opinion. Since that is the only thing between me and a piece of rock hard briar coming loose and hitting my face, I would not go Chinese on a chuck.

If I had a full time shop where the tools were being used constantly all day I would certainly go with an American or German/Austrian manufacturer. But of the tools I have, Half are were made in China/Taiwan and I am happy with them.

For a hobbyist like myself I would say Grizzly or Harbour Frieght is not a bad way to go. But, be aware that you sometimes get what you pay for.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ArtGuy wrote: Since that is the only thing between me and a piece of rock hard briar coming loose and hitting my face
Off topic, but I had a piece of briar get picked up out my vice and flung at my head a few days ago by the drill press :evil:

It missed me... It was gunnin' for me tho, i just know it! My drill press is a Ryobi... where are they made! Maybe the asian made tools are the one's out to get me! :wink:

Who would have thunk that pipe making would be so dangerous!? :roll: