go slow, you say

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
JMB

go slow, you say

Post by JMB »

how slow is slow. Got my kit from Pimo and started my first pipe today.
I thought I was going slow on the Disk Sander, but it eat up that Brair in a hurry. Changed to a 320 grit and used the Belt Sander, it slowed down some but still eat it like it was yellow Pipe. I thought Brair was hard. Got to learn the soft touch!!!!!!!
That was just one of my problems today. I squared up the sides but when I did it forced the "center line" of the pipe off. Are "stems" really round???
The "center line" running through the stem to the "air hole" to the center of the Tobacco Chamber is off. Don't know if I did something wrong are it came from Pimo this way. Any way I got a lopsided Pipe now. It's a Panel Pipe but around the top one side is wider than the other at the hole. Need a lot of work where the Shank meets the Stmmel. Guess that will come in time. I was expecting making the "shank" round would be hard but that was the easiest.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Initial shaping of any block of briar is going to go rather quickly - the more time consuming stuff is in the detail work and sanding, sanding, sanding until it's smooth.

I use 60 or 80 grit belts on my elt grinder, and I usually can rough in half a dozen pipes in an hour. From there I move on to either the disk or sandpaper strips to do the fine tuning, and then it's just sand, sand, sand until it's shiny. Or, take the dremel to it with reckless abandon.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

Thanks guy's. I thought I was doing it wrong as it went so fast. Did sand off a little too much on one side, but hey I need another "shop pipe"