Spirals - Boswells

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
jchamb

Spirals - Boswells

Post by jchamb »

I love spiral shanks, and have been looking at a lot of the Preben Holm and Ben Wade pipes with spirals turned into the shank. Then I stumbled across the site for J.M. Boswell!

This guy is apparently the master of spiral pipes. Anyone have any idea how this is done? I'm guessing a 1/2 inch sanding drum on a Dremel, and LOTS of patience....

john
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I am fairly confident that Lee von Erck and Art Ruppelt (Ming-Kahuna Tampers) both do spirals by hand with a Dremel. I would guess Boswell does too.

Tyler
JMB

Re: Spirals - Boswells

Post by JMB »

It's a little to advance for me but I own two Boswell pipes. One spiral and one not. He makes a great pipe which smokes good & long.

jchamb wrote:I love spiral shanks, and have been looking at a lot of the Preben Holm and Ben Wade pipes with spirals turned into the shank. Then I stumbled across the site for J.M. Boswell!

This guy is apparently the master of spiral pipes. Anyone have any idea how this is done? I'm guessing a 1/2 inch sanding drum on a Dremel, and LOTS of patience....

john
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I was talking with Tim West at Chicago and he was describing doing spiral shanks on the edge of a disk sander and touching them up by hand.