New to forum and some more free drilling pics

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
mfalba

New to forum and some more free drilling pics

Post by mfalba »

Greetings,

My name is Mike Falba and I live in New Orleans. I've been making and repairing pipes for maybe five years now.

I've been enjoying reading this forum for several weeks now and appreciate the opportunity to be a forum member.

I enjoyed the free drilling pictures and thought I'd add a few of a fellow that I took in England in summer of 2004.

These are all of the tools and all are homemade (except the lathe).

Turning the bowl and shank.

Drilling the tobacco chamber and draft hole. All done by eye no premarking or center punching.

Finally after everything is drilled here is the rough shaping!

I hope you all enjoy.
Mike Falba
Frank

Post by Frank »

Hells bells!!
Talk about doing things the difficult way, not to mention somewhat dangerous, shaping on a table saw! :shock:

I wonder how accurately his tobacco chamber & draught hole align.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
mfalba

Post by mfalba »

Hey Frank:

The pipemaker is Barry Jones. I had the pleasure of spending the day with him watching him make pipes. I had a bunch of questions about the tools and the techniques also.

His answers we pretty straight forward. He told me that he was trained to do it like this since he was 15 and this was how he always did it, totally by eye.

He also always made his own tools. The hand held spade bits are hand ground on a wheel, they start out as a metal file or a rectangular piece of steel. The turning chisels are either altered wood chisels or start out as rectangular pieces of steel. His drill bits are 4mm pieces of wire with sharpened ends set into a handle. Thats it.

As far as his accuracy, I'm sure he misses from time to time but the day that I was there he was pretty right on. He finds the center by placing the bit on the spinning wood and when it stops whobbling it's centered.

His pipes are the old Charatan's Make from the 50's and 60's and well as the Upshalls. If you have one take a peek inside and see how straight it's drilled.

Barry is the only person I have ever seen make pipes. I certainly don't make my own that way, couldn't do it and wouldn't ever try. But it certainly was interesting to see how somebody from the "old school" of British pipe making did it, and I thought you guys would be interested to seeing

I work with an old Atlas Metal Lathe which I have just about finished salvaging since Hurricane Katrina. It's up and running since about a month ago and now works fine. My personal pipes and wood came with me during evacuation and are safe.

Have a great day.

Mike
Mike Falba
Ray Cover

Post by Ray Cover »

NOt ot be critical but I think I would let go of the cash to buy a good belt sander.

I got a beauty with a 6x48 belt and a 12" disc combo a few years ago from grizzley for around $450. I am sure you could get away with a smaller one at much less cost just for pipes.

Thats a real cheap investment to keep ones fingers attached to ones hand.

I mean he is wearing ear protection but totally playing lose with his hands.

Ray
Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Ray Cover wrote:NOt ot be critical but I think I would let go of the cash to buy a good belt sander.

I got a beauty with a 6x48 belt and a 12" disc combo a few years ago from grizzley for around $450. I am sure you could get away with a smaller one at much less cost just for pipes.

Thats a real cheap investment to keep ones fingers attached to ones hand.

I mean he is wearing ear protection but totally playing lose with his hands.

Ray
He has a belt sander... attached to the lathe in the first picture (I'm pretty sure that's what it is). Given Frank's comments, I guess I'm not the only one that thinks that he's doing the drilling by hold a drill bit in his hand, right? Hell's Bells is right! Forget accuracy for a minute... he's holding the tobacco chamber bit in his hand! Looks like with the use of a rest, but still... we all know rests are nearly useless as stabilizers when you get just an inch away from them.
Ray Cover

Post by Ray Cover »

I don't think that is a belt sander. That looks to be the drive belt for the lathe.

Ray
Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Mike

Yikes, what are you doing with the table saw? Looks scary! :shock:
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
mfalba

Post by mfalba »

I love these pictures they always make for good conversation.

Craig, I'm not the pipemaker pictured, I just visited him and took his pictures several years back.

There is no belt sander, the belt attached to the lathe is a leather drive belt that turns the headstock.

And yeah, he does hold the bits in his hands to drill the holes stabalizing them on the rest. Each hole takes him all of five seconds to drill.

I just thought this was pretty cool stuff. I show these pictures to my family and friends (with exception of my younger son who was there with me) and they could care less. So I thought they would get some interest here.

By the way he does have sanding wheels here they are.

This wheel is a pumice wheel. Barry uses a leather wheel and coates it with pumice. You can see the pumice in the tray under the wheel. He mixes it up with a little oil so it will stick to the leather, presses it on the wheel with his fingers, then uses the wheel to make his final "sanding".

Every Charatan freehand and standard shape that he made was done like this, Upshalls also! A chance to watch Barry make pipes was like a chance to step back into a different era of pipemaking. It was a blast and I didn't want to leave. He also let me take and share the pictures of him making the pipes which he has never really let anyone do before.

Oh yeah, he in in his 60's and hasn't lost a finger, a part of a finger or had any serious injuries...knocking on wood...!

MIke
Mike Falba
magruder

Post by magruder »

Mike,
Thanx for the photos and the info. This is really cool "old school" stuff.
How about posting some of your engraving work?
Best,
Steven Magruder Morrisette
mfalba

Post by mfalba »

Engraving work? I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for.

Mike
Mike Falba
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Ray Cover wrote:I don't think that is a belt sander. That looks to be the drive belt for the lathe.

Ray
So it is... I could have sworn that I had seen the motor beneath the lathe...
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

hi mike

thanks for the pics. WOW . how long did it take for mr jones to make a pipe. he was in P&T a few issues ago and i think the article said he and his staff of 5 make around 1500 pipes a week.

intresting all the skew chisels barry is using. and do you turn bowls and shanks

jim
mfalba

Post by mfalba »

Hey Jim,

Glad you liked the Pics.

Barry has not had a staff of five for the last 17 years. He is like most pipe artisans, he works solo.

We sat around the studio all day chatting the day I visited I guess it took him about 1.5 hours to complete the particular he was working on. He gave it to me after it was finished, here's a pic of it.

I do turn bowls and shanks but not like Barry does I wouldn't attempt it. I use an Atlas Metal Lathe. I did however borrow some of his shaping and finishing techniques (not the table saw one!)

Mike
Mike Falba
Nick

Post by Nick »

Too cool. I think I've actually seen your picture before Mike. Barry really does have a fascinating technique.
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

just curious mike

what do you use to turn your bowls and shanks. I use a metal lathe to turn cylinders and then us bowl gouges of different sizes to finish shaping.
i am just now learning how to use the skew.

just curious how barry jones turns his tenons for stems- i know kurt just used his woodturning tools.

thanks
jim
mfalba

Post by mfalba »

Hey Jim,

I started using a Jet Mini lathe and a skew. I would spin the wood in a Lamb Chuck, place the chisel on the rest and then have at it.

I have also used a self centering 4 jaw chuck, chucked up a wooden dowel the same diameter as my tobacco chamber, jammed the bowl on the dowel and shaped using a skew.

I now have an old Atlas Metal Lathe that I use to turn both bowls, shanks and stems. I still use a Lamb Chuck but instead of screwing it onto the headstock, I chuck the Lamb Chuck in a 4 jaw self centering chuck, it spins much truer that way.

I also use my atlas to spin my french wheel for shaping.

Now for Barry:

Barry cuts his mortise and tenons on two different horizontal drill presses. The head stock of one press spins a tenon tool similar to a Pimo or a J. H. Lowe tenon tool, and the other spins a mortising tool the same as a J. H. Lowe mortising tool. They are both set for the same diameter cut so the process was quick.

After he turns his shank and drills his draft hole, Barry then loads the pipe by the shank into a self centering chuck on the mortising press and it takes about two seconds to drill and champher mortise and square the end of the shank.

The same goes for the stem, He either chucks up a pre molded stem or a piece of rod into a self centering vise turns on the press and boom...in about two seconds the stem is drilled, the tenon is cut and the surface squared. He polished the tenon on a wheel with a little black compound and it fits right into the mortise perfectly.

I hope I explained this clearly, here are some pics. In the first picture you can see the Mortise cutters on the window sill on the right.

Mike
Mike Falba
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

hey mike
thank you very much for sharing all the info (also loved the pics of the pipes i like a thick shank).

do you use a jh lowe mortising tool- that tool looks like it would save alot of time - drill mortise-suare shank-countersink mostise in one motion-and to the correct depth. instead of chucking mostise bit- unchuck- chuck countersink - look for chuck key- chuck fornster bit(i know got out of order) etc.

for turning shanks i love pin gauges(many thanks to rad davis,john crosby
and kurt) also looking into buying pin gauges for tobacco chamber in extra long length to turn bowls(mc-master-carr has them but they are expensive) instead of using wooden rods

best
jim
mfalba

Post by mfalba »

Hey Jim:

I have both a Mortise cutting tool and a Tenon tool from J. H. Lowe but I haven't used them very often. The way I see it is that I'm making pipes for fun and relaxation as a hobby so I don't need to be in a hurry. I have done away with the Fornster Bit step, I use the lathe cutting tool to square the end if my shank and stem.

I have used pin gauges but don't any more. Ever since I purchased a Lamb Chuck I can cut as close to the stem/shank junction as I need from both directions. I can also rotate the bowl 180 deg and turn from the bottom if I wish. Lamb Chucks also work well for hand turning.

People say that Ken's tools are expensive but in my opinion there's nothing like good tools, they make the job much, much easier, less frustrating and more fun. A pipemaker wouldn't cut the price on one of his works of art, and a speciality tool maker shouldn't do so either.

I have two of his chucks, 9 drill bits, a set of stem tools and a mortise and tenon tool. Over the last five years I've sold and repaired enough pipes locally to pay for them. Worth every penny!

Have a great day!

Mike
Mike Falba
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

thank you very much for sharing this with us mike

jim
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

and ordered a keyless chuck for my tailstop from the www.thewoodturnerscatalog.com so no more looking for the key.

also made a simple block of wood to hold my bits at hand. not any thing new but laying tools on the bench where they can roll and get lost under all the crap on the work bench should save me close to to 2 hours a day.

sometimes its the little things that can help.
keyless drill chucks
buffing station- one where you do not have to change wheels one at time
thanks everyone for all the helpful techniques you have posted
just being organized- lost tools and tool change over can cost you alot of time
sorry kind of got off topic
jim