Toxic/non-Toxic epoxy

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
jeff

Toxic/non-Toxic epoxy

Post by jeff »

What kind of epoxy do you all use to attach decorative shank extensions? Do you use the same for all materials? Bamboo, wood, vulcanite, ivory? I'm going to give this a shot on my next pipes and want to make sure that my pipe does not kill anyone.

Thanks,
Jeff
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jeff,

I don't use anything special from a health perspective. When I use epoxy, I use it in such a way that the smoke stream never comes into contact with epoxy. In my mind, this makes what type you use a non-issue from a health standpoint.

Tyler
jeff

Post by jeff »

Okay. So, the mortise/tenon used to attach the extension prevents the epoxy from contacting the smoke stream. Is the epoxy just any old kind that will bond wood and _____? Superglue? Two-part? Does it matter?

Jeff
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Anyway, how do you do this no-contact trick without leaving a miniscule gap, Tyler?
I line shank extensions with a briar sleeve, so the gap between the exension and the shank has a liner that covers it. Could there be a line at the bottom of the mortise where the sleeve stops at the bottom of the mortise? Sure. Usually not though, as I do not put epoxy on the last 1/8" of the sleeve, and since that is the end I insert first, the epoxy moves away from that end of the sleeve. For all practical purposes I'd say there is not epoxy in comtact with the smoke stream.

Typically though, I do stem inlays, and as you point out random, those don't have any issues with glue in the smoke stream.

Tyler

P.S. I use a high-strength, 5-minute, 2-part epoxy.
Last edited by Tyler on Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Random & Tyler,

Your comments are of great help. I'm interested particularly in your briar sleeve idea, Tyler. I can conceive of two ways that this may be done. First (and least likely) that the shank extension is fitted with a briar sleeve prior to being attached to the stummel. Second, that the sleeve is carved from the stummel using a lathe. Is the second typically the case for you?

Jeff