bit

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
buster

bit

Post by buster »

Thank you thats all I needed to know. Sorry I'm such an idiot, I guess I won't even try to make pipes. Forget it.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Don't get discourage bud! Everyone starts some from the same place. We've all asked those basic questions ourselves.
buster

bit

Post by buster »

I was just being sarcastic. Thanks for the encouraging words though. I really don't have any machinery yet and I haven't even made a pipe yet. I just got a couple of prebored pipes from pimo this week and I haven't started on them yet. Before I got them I had all kinds of ideas but now that I have them I don't know where to start. But thanks.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Buster.. have you picked up a copy of Pimo's Guide to Pipecrafting at Home? It's limited mostly to basic operations, but starting out that's for the best. It's a good foundation of information to get you going. You can get it at: http://www.pimopipecraft.com

As far as not knowing where to start, just start and worry about that as you proceed. If you expect your first pipe to be a masterpiece, you'll never get that first pipe done. You don't have to be Bo Nordh to make pipes, you just have to enjoy the fact you're making them and all the rest will work itself out.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Just remember - all you have to do is remove wood. It sounds sarcastic and simple, but really that's all you have to do. Just start taking wood off that pre-drilled block with whatever tool you have at your disposal. It could be files, carving knives, disc/belt grinders, or even a hatchet.

Not that I suggest actually using a hatchet. :shock:

The point is, there's no black magic involved. At some point down the road you'll be able to read the wood and figure out what shape is trapped in that block, but that skill can take years to master. And at some time in the future you'll be able to make a pipe with crisp lines, an elegant shape, and pleasing proportions. Until then, don't worry about it, have fun, and make a mess.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
buster

bit

Post by buster »

Thanks for the help guys and yes I did buy the pimo book which is pretty cool so far but I haven't gotten to the actual pipe making part yet. The thing that's bothering me now is that I have this prebored in my hand and I made a drawing on it of what I want but it's kind of hard to think three dimensionally ( is that a word ). Another thing I was thinking is how I'm gonna keep things symetrical.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: bit

Post by KurtHuhn »

buster wrote:The thing that's bothering me now is that I have this prebored in my hand and I made a drawing on it of what I want but it's kind of hard to think three dimensionally ( is that a word ). Another thing I was thinking is how I'm gonna keep things symetrical.
Both are skills that will develop over time. For most people, experience is king in that regard.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

What Kurt said, all the way through. For symetry, just take your time. I know it sounds overly simplistic, but that's not far off. Take some wood off, look at what's left. Wash, rinse, repeat. Working in 3 dimensions, that's something you'll get used to. For now, just make a pipe. You'll have all kinds of lightbulb moments as you progress through your first few blocks and it will slowly start to become a natural process.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

As far as thinking 3-D, just think in terms of blocks: square blocks, rectangular blocks, etc.

When you start in shaping, shape one squarish block for the bowl and one more rectangular, skinnier block for the shank.

Once you have your blocks the way you want them, then start thinking "octagon". Essentially you're going to knock off the corners to turn your squares into octagons.

Once you have the octagons, you're home free. You knock off the remaining corners, and you'll surprise yourself at how round things start to get.

Squares -> Octagons -> Round. That's about all there is to it.

Also, get your hands on some pipes to study. Go on ebay and buy yourself a "lot" of "estate" pipes for like $15. Look for a lot with several different pipe shapes represented, if you can find one.

And study those dudes, you know. Remove the stems and study the airways. Study the shapes.

That's what I did, anyway, and it helped me immensely.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Just an observation, and I apologize if this sounds lecturing or condescending, that's not my intent. In any endeavor, if you try to imagine all the difficulties and reasons why things won't work, nothing ever will. Mark Twain wrote, "My life has been filled with a thousand tragedies, the vast majority of which never happened."

We all have first pipes. Usually in the back of a drawer, but without that first one, there is no second, or third, and so on, to the point where you actually have chops. My first pipe was made with a prebored kit, a four-in-hand rasp, and sandpaper. That's it. In the words of the energy drink commercial, "Get to it!"
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehehe. Gawd, my first pipe was ugly!!! The second one wasn't all that pretty either. Did we have a get together one year where you had to bring your first pipe? I'm bummed I missed that.

You know, one of the things that I did early on was hack away at some old estates. That was great. I cut them in half to see the insides. I reshaped them. Good fun and good prectice.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Ahhh my first pipe. I had the kit and the files and dremel. I had it all planned out, could see the pipe in the block....

... and then I started shaping. And goofing up. And shaping some more to fix the goof up. The pipe kept getting smaller... and smaller.. and smaller...

I ended up with what amounted to a thimble with a shank and a stem stuck in it. It's .75" chamber bore suggested it may be a decent little flake pipe, provided you smoked one flake at a time. We'll not get into how I "finished" that first pipe, considering I knew nothing about finishes at that point.

It certainly wasn't the pipe I had envisioned when I started out, but I made it and that was most important at the time.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Buster, where do you live? One of the most influential times in my pipemaking was when I got to visit another pipemaker. Just seeing someone with lots more experience execute what they are seeing and seeing some technique... made a big difference with me.

If your close to someone and your not an axe murderer, perhaps someone will volunteer to show you some stuff. Even some of the less experienced guys who have jumped in could probably help you work that image you have in your head onto a piece of wood.
buster

Home

Post by buster »

I live in a suburb of Cleveland Ohio. Ohh and what's so secretive about the members only forum.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Well I'll jump in here, too, since I'm a rookie and it's all still quite fresh in my memory (hasn't flushed from cache yet).

I just started earlier this year making pipes. The first couple of pipes were basically what you have in your hand, a pre-bored block.

Tools: Dremel, files, sandpaper, leather dye, 0000 steel wool, carnuba wax.
(pretty much in that order)

Doesn't matter how stylish it turns out, it will be YOURS! And it will be a great smoke! Another cool thing.... you can have it broken in before you're even done with it!!!

My first pipe: Not pretty, quite heavy, but smokes good!

Like the commercial... just do it.
bscofield

Re: Home

Post by bscofield »

buster wrote:Ohh and what's so secretive about the members only forum.
Ahh... the member's only forum. Not much secretive seeing as how nothing is going on there, lol. There has been a post in quite some time.

Cleveland is probably too far to come to St. Louis but perhaps someone will jump in. You forgot to mention whether or not you were an ax murderer.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Home

Post by KurtHuhn »

buster wrote:I live in a suburb of Cleveland Ohio. Ohh and what's so secretive about the members only forum.
If you plan on making it to Rhode Island give me a shout.

Uhm, CKR, the invitation still stands. I have some time off from the day job Christmas week, so give me a ping.

Te members forum is for semi-pros to share info and "sooper-sekrit-info". It's a have from the public, mostly, where thay can talk without fear of ridicule.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com