question for todd johnson on shaping

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
jbacon

question for todd johnson on shaping

Post by jbacon »

hi todd

i have been following your work for about 3 years on your web site

just curious what you use to shape your pipes with. alot of people have explained what they use. random seems to like the foredom tool. tyler seems to like the sanding disk. alot of people like the belt sander and some people like sandpaper strips.

thanks

jim
ToddJohnson

Re: question for todd johnson on shaping

Post by ToddJohnson »

jbacon wrote:hi todd

i have been following your work for about 3 years on your web site

just curious what you use to shape your pipes with. alot of people have explained what they use. random seems to like the foredom tool. tyler seems to like the sanding disk. alot of people like the belt sander and some people like sandpaper strips.

thanks

jim
Hi Jim,

I use a carbon fiber backed 36 grit aluminum oxide disk at 1800 rpm's. I also have a 100" x 1" belt sander that I use less extemsively. The main advantage to the disk is speed and accuracy, two things that are paramount when pipemaking pays the bills. Shaping on a 1" belt sander is extremely slow, and shaping on a 4" belt sander (a la craftsman) offers little accuracy. I use a technique on the wheel that allows for some very fine detail if you're able to manage a light touch. I shape *only* with the edge of the wheel. The stummell is held at approx. a 45 degree angle against the edge and is basically passed across it to remove material. If you're not skilled at this you can quickly end up putting deep gouges in the piece, but it's been a couple of years since I've done that.

I can't imagine shaping on anything where I wasn't holding the pipe in my hands, constantly rolling it around, holding it up to check the profile, putting the french curves to it, etc. Once it's shaped of course, details can be added with a Proxon/Foredom, etc., but I would never shape with it, especially if I needed to get paid for my time. Using sanding strips sounds impossible to me if you're not starting out with something that removes considerably more material. I use sanding strips of course, but only to refine and smooth the shape. Anyhow, these are my thoughts. I hope they're helpful.

Best,

Todd
Nick

Post by Nick »

Too cool, bud. Any chance you can post pics of the process?
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

nick

i think what todd is saying can be found on www.danishpipemakers.com
link on index of pipemakers and click on bang. there are two pictures
that show this shaping technique. what i use is what i pieced together.
i got a 1725 knife buffing motor from grizzley(jet is now offering them)
and i got either a 9 or 10 inch wheel that is used to turn your table saw
into a sander. what i was lacking was technique after having todd explain
using the edge and the approx angle i think
i understand a little better. also i am using too fine of sandpaper (220 grit) i don t have a carmera or i would shoot some pics.

click on about the pipemakers to see the sanding techn.
mabe todd can confirm or possibly post pictures i would love to see
some as well. i got the sanding disk at my local tool shop. don t look for them at lowes or home depot
jim
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks Jim! Pretty cool. Still want to see Todd slugging away though.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

random wrote:Todd, do you use a flat wheel or a convex wheel?
Flat. Convex would serve no purpose for me as I use only the edge for shaping. For finer sanding (220) I use a felt backed flexible disk that I often put my fingers behind to make it conform to a certain contour.

Todd
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Nick wrote:Thanks Jim! Pretty cool. Still want to see Todd slugging away though.
It's not too likely Nick. The last photo essay I did was a black hole for my time that turned into a total fiasco. It took Tyler to get it straightened out and be able to actually send the files. Maybe once I know of a better method I'll put something together.

Todd
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehee

OK Todd