foredom tool

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
jbacon

foredom tool

Post by jbacon »

what are some good pipe carving burrs for the foredom tool. this seems
like a very powerful tool. mabe random can shed some light on this topic
as it seems to be his fav tool. the chainsaw file is awesome. now i am always looking for ways to use different tools. anyone ever use a chainsaw?(no i have not yet).

tyler you said in your tool section on pipe making you don t use the dremel too much is there a reaon for this would like to hear some feedback on rotary tools

i have hear and seen some people that the rotary toll is the best tool they ever used.

as always thanks

jim
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I use the Dremel rarely because I have better tools for the job. The times I do use the Dremel are these:
  • Cutting the slit in the button end of the stem.
    Shaping the curve in the saddle of a saddle stem.
    Polishing small, hard to reach places.
As for general shaping, I like a sanding disc MUCH better than the Dremel.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm almost exactly the opposite. I really dislike discs, though I have finally found one that I find acceptable. My favorite tool to shape with is a belt grinder attached to my 1HP bench grinder body. After that, I usually hit the disc to even out the shape (sometimes), then the dremel to fine tune, and strips of sandpaper for final shaping and final sanding.

The dremel bits I use are varied, and depend on what the pipe needs. Mostly it's a roughly conical bit with a rounded end - bit #117. I also use engraving bits as well, depending on what I'm doing. For rustication, almost always engraving bits.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I recently spoke on the phone with Rolando Negoita... he used a foredom tool and a V shped gouge to cut the groove along the side of this horn.....

and it is symetrical on either side:

He said he holds it like a knife and draws it towards himself in a single, steady motion. Note how the groove gets more shallow as it approaches and continues onto the stem. He must have lightened the pressure as he cut the groove just like drawing a line with a pencil.

That my friends, is a very steady hand.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Wow! He is too cool.