Oneway Chuck - Tyler?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
MitchG

Oneway Chuck - Tyler?

Post by MitchG »

I noticed in your (excellent) video on drilling the draught hole that you were able to re-align the stummel properly on the horizontal plane by just loosening the chuck, shifting the stummel to the proper position and tightening the chuck. Does the Oneway allow off-center gripping without manipulating the chuck other than pushing the jaws to the proper position? This is much simpler than what would be required with a converted 4-jaw lathe chuck, where you'd have to slack off one jaw and take up the slack with the other, separately. Considering the Oneway for my new Jet Mini and it would be a plus if adustment were quicker than with my 2-jaw chuck.

Mitch
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Mark,

I'm not sure I followed your question completely, but the way the Oneway chuck functions is it self-centers. There are no other manipulations possible. It, like the chuck you describe, is a four-jaw with two removed, but this chuck does not have independedntly adjustable jaws. They all move together. I owned previous to this chuck, a cheap four-jaw independent from Grizzley. It was terrible. Not only was alignment difficult, but I tore the chuck up in a few months, and you never new when the chuck might reliquious its grip on the block in the middle of turning. It was quite exciting!

Tyler
MitchG

Post by MitchG »

Hmm. Yes, it's difficult to describe. If you were holding the stummel in a "normal" smoking position, then the vertical axis would be up and down the bowl. The horizontal axis would be left and right across the stem. It seemed in your video that you were able to align/center the stummel on the left to right axis (horizontally) and retain the vertical center without 'fiddling' with the jaws. If I understand your reply correctly, the draught and bowl holes must be centered in the stummel - so it's not possible to drill off-center, using the Oneway. Thanks!

<edit> I just looked at the video again and I think I understand the source of my confusion. I'm thinking that the stummel was slightly 'canted' to one side when you did the initial setup and you re-aligned it to be square to the center line of the head and tailstock. That makes more sense to me. Got it! :)

Mitch