stummel to stem area..

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
bscofield

stummel to stem area..

Post by bscofield »

I know there's probably a word for this but I don't know what it is... But what I wanted to know is how everyone shapes the area between the main part of the stummel and part of the stummel that goes out to meet the stem? I'm at that part on my first serious pipe and am wondering what to do. After reading your site Tyler, I figured that the way you must get in there is with your delta band saw and then file and sandpaper?? Is that about it?

Thanks in advance for any help...
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I rough shape that area with both a round and flat file. Then I finish it with sandpaper. I probably spend more time in that area of the pipe than any other.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I get pretty close to final shape for the shank/bowl junction on the sanding disc. I fine tune with files and sand paper.

This is a CRITICAL area of the pipe. IMO, nothing says clunky pipe more than poor shank/bowl transition.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Depending on the pipe, I'll use files or a dremel, then clean it up with sandpaper. Sometimes the dremel just does so much better a job than files - especially for pipes like bulldogs.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I agree about the shank/stummel junction looking clunky on a poorly made pipe. To be honest, I'm almost afraid of doing a round pipe because it appears to me that it would be difficult to make a round pipe symetrical... does anyone have any tips or tricks for keeping the symetry on a pipe throughout the whole thing?

Tyler, how do you get most of the shank/stummel junction done with a 1" belt sander? I'm probably just missing it cause the pipe I'm working on has a "V" shape between the stummel and shank which would make it very difficult, in my thinking, to get anything but a file in there...?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I don't get a 1" belt sander in there, I get a 5" disc in there. :D I don't use the belt sander for shaping the stummel, I use a disc chucked up in my Delta Midi lathe. I cannot fully complete the junction, but I can get it to the point that I use the smaller tools to fine tune by hand. To do this, I am mostly using the edge of the disc where I have a small amount of sand paper over lapping the edge of the disc. I have this overlap because I bought 6" sandpaper discs for a 5" wheel. I trim the paper to about 5 1/4" in diameter, which leaves me a bit of sandpaper for the edge.

Another tool I forgot to mention was a knife. A sharp knife is great for working in the shank/bowl transition area.

Tyler