Shank Extensions

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
jeff

Shank Extensions

Post by jeff »

Tyler and crew, it is time you all divulged the secrets to shank extensions. I did watch the video on the site, Tyler, where you worked with a stem insert, but there was limited (or none, I can't remember :wink: ) textual explanation to supplement the video's instruction. So, that is fair game too.

What kind of woods are best?

What epoxies or bonding agents are used to secure them?

Does it use its own mortise and tenon, or are flat surfaces glued?

Where does one get the flat pieces of ivory, ebonite, or other thin disk inserts to accentuate the effect?

Any other answers to questions not asked but you know that I will ask as soon as I think of them?

Thanks all!

Jeff
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Shank Extensions

Post by Tyler »

jeff wrote: What kind of woods are best?
Basically any hardwood that looks pretty. I am doing something with a pipe that is "On the Bench" using purple heart.
What epoxies or bonding agents are used to secure them?
I use a five minute epoxy. I'm sure I should research this and get the best one money should buy, but I have been lazy in that regard so far. I just use a high-strength 5-minute epoxy from the local hardware store.
Does it use its own mortise and tenon, or are flat surfaces glued?
Yes. :-) Both...glue the inlay on its own tenon.
Where does one get the flat pieces of ivory, ebonite, or other thin disk inserts to accentuate the effect?
Make 'em. Buy the raw materials, the cut with the bandsaw and turn with the metal lathe until you have the properly shaped insert.
Any other answers to questions not asked but you know that I will ask as soon as I think of them?
Fire away.

Tyler
marks

Post by marks »

One place you can look for interesting things to put on pipes is at a custom knife show. There are lots of suppliers at these shows that sell exotic stuff (wood and other things) that work great for decorative accents on pipes and stems. You can also get all kinds of buffing supplies there as well. I am sure there are lots of places on the web for such things that a search would turn up.

I went to one of these shows last year, and one thing I did remember was giraffe bone. It looks pretty cool stained in the different colors, etc. and would make great stem inlays. It was legal to bring into the country, and it wasn't cheap. I did not buy anything, as I wanted to wait a little until I got better at the basics, but the guy I went with bought some stuff to work into his pipes.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Indeed, knife supply houses are good for inlay materials. I went to a local knife show and was able to buy a hippo tooth for that very thing. I have not used any of it yet, because the first time I tried to cut it it ruined my bandsaw blade. Tough stuff! I need to buy a metal cutting blade for my saw so i can use this hippo ivory.

Finding creative inlay materials is a fun treasure hunt in and of itself.

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you're looking for inexpensive pieces of wood to try for shank extensions/accents, you can start with jumbo pen-making blanks. I've found that some of the burls have rather incredible grain, and if you get stabilized blanks (impregnated with plastic) they take a shine like no tomorrow. You can get these here:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/frame ... lanks.html
http://www.penmakingsupplies.com/Projects/index.php
Among others. Someone recently posted a link to aanother place, and I can't recall the URL at the moment.

The knifemaker's supply source is a great idea. I get all my sanding belts from Jantz Supply:
http://www.jantzsupply.com
They have all manner of handle material that's also appropriate for shank material as well.

As far as attaching, I usually drill a very shallow mortis, say 1/8" or so, with a forstner bit (to reduce any potential airspace), and then turn a tenon on the shank extension to fit in. I'm not overly worried about a perfect fit , as long as it's not too loose it's okay. Then glob on some 5-minute epoxy, clamp it together for a while, and let it cure. I usually wait at least 24 hours to drill the stem mortis and shape the shank after attaching the extension. This is just because my paranoid mind says that a couple hours simply isn't enough time for the epoxy to set completely.

For wood, as Tyler said, just about any hardwood will do. Be creative, use alternative materials, and even get freaky and use something you've never seen on a pipe before. You might come with something that's incredibly attractive.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
MitchG

Post by MitchG »

If legal (pre-ban) ivory's of interest....
http://www.ivorybuyer.com/sales/
...the cue-joints look as if they could be adapted for decorative stem-work.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Hey Mitch, welcome to the forum!

I use pre-ban ivory on occasion. Beautiful stuff. I bought mine from the very link you provided. I found that buying "scraps" was the best way to go. I bought piano key drops. $100 a pound is realatively inexpensive, and the 1/4 pound I bought will probably end up being enough for use in about 10 pipes or so.

Tyler
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Awesome thread!

I can't wait till I get my Taig!

The knife show suggestion is brilliant!

Has anyone done any olive wood extensions? That seems to be very interesting to me...

Samuel Learned has used hickory with some stunning results... especially after the pipe have been broken it, it gets this amazing golden hue...
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Hey Jeff, How did you post on Thursday May 13th already? I was afraid I had missed some pretty important meetings there for a second . :D
jeff

Post by jeff »

I've seen some nice results with olivewood. I'd really like to get ahold of some rosewood or ebony though. Thanks for the link. I've also found a supplier around here that deals in custom hardwoods that imports all of the world's finest. I might try to hit them up sometime this summer.

Jeff
Nick

Post by Nick »

I saw a really pretty wood call Curunai on the net the other day. Definatly want to try using it. Of course I think I'll try and get one success befor I buy any expensive wood. Any tips or trick would be much appriciated.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jeff wrote:I've seen some nice results with olivewood. I'd really like to get ahold of some rosewood or ebony though.
This pipe:
has an ebony extension - but it's difficult to see due to being an all-black pipe. It didn't start out that way, but the surface flaws dictated it. It was also going to have an amber stem, but I ended up using this as an experiment in *mumble* and I'm going to keep it for myself. I couldn't justify an amber stem on it, and it would have looked funny anyway.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com