GGGGRRRR!!!!

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Nick

GGGGRRRR!!!!

Post by Nick »

OK, so I'm working on a pipe. I have like pics of two other pipes I need to post, darn it. Well, working on this new pipe; a ballerina shape. Too fun. I cut the stummel a bit narrow from right to left, but otherwise its coming along very nicely. Shaping up to be a nice flake pipe. Anyway, there was a flaw on the front of the bowl. Ohh well. I didn't think too much of it at the time. These things just happen right? Well I'm working away some more, when I look inside the bowl and notice a shadow. "Noooo," thinks I. "It can't go all the way through?" So I cover the bowl with my hand and blow through the draught hole and sure enough, the air passes right through. Flowing out easily from the big fissure on the front of the bowl.

AAARRRGGHHH!!!

I can't bring myself to pitch it. But its not like there's anything else to do. I might finish it just for the exersize. I'd even thought about coating the front of the bowl with a thick shellac to try and seal it off. But I doubt that it'd work Prolly end up burning through in pretty short order.

BLLEECH!!

Well, at least now I can correct the width of the stummel right? Cut it so its not so narrow. *grumble grumble grumble*
marks

Post by marks »

One thought. You may be able to cut a plug and somehow cement/epoxy it in place, and at least salvage a pipe for yourself. I have never attempted this, and I am not sure if it will work or not, but it might be worth a try. You could coat the bowl when completed to offer some heat resistance.

I have heard of this being done on a particular dunhill rodesian shape as it has very thin walls near the base, and is prone to burn out.

Anyone ever done this successfully on a scrap pipe? Is it even possible?
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

marks wrote:One thought. You may be able to cut a plug and somehow cement/epoxy it in place, and at least salvage a pipe for yourself. I have never attempted this, and I am not sure if it will work or not, but it might be worth a try. You could coat the bowl when completed to offer some heat resistance.

Boy, I wouldn't. Smoke epoxy, that is. It's just the way it is with briar, it happens to everyone who makes pipes. I hate to throw them out, too, so I've got a cardboard box with probably 20 stummels with fatal flaws. I think lots of pipemakers have such boxes. javascript:emoticon(':?') In the time it would take to make (IMO) a dubious repair, you could be halfway to a new pipe.

Jack
marks

Post by marks »

Good points Jack. I wasn't sure if it could be done.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

If it is just a small fissure and not a gaping hole I would precarb the bowl and see how long I could smoke it before it was ruined.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well it's really not that wide at all. As a matter of fact, I can't see a real gap. Just the line where the fissure runs (at least on the inside of the bowl.) Its evident on the outside, but still if its over a 16th of an inch wide, I'd be very surprised.

Perhaps I will finish it. The precarb thing sounds like a good idea. Maybe cramming it full of ash first, and then carbing it. Additionally, I could just rusticate the outside. Or hell, its just for me, I could just finish it with a dark stain.

Hell! I'm gonna go with it. What have I got to loose, right? Already bought the block. Might as well get some use out of it.

:7

YYAAYY!