carbon coating for bowls

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
PremalChheda

Re: carbon coating for bowls

Post by PremalChheda »

If you are worried about using sodium silicate as the glue to hold the carbon or carbon + pumice, you can use gelatin + distilled water + carbon powder. Just make sure to keep it in the fridge, and application is a bit tricky.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

keilwerth wrote:I'm a bit torn here - I'd like to say "uncoated bowls rule!", but then I see carvers like Todd who coat the bowls and I think, hmm...
Anyway for now I keep my bowls clean, cause there's so many smokers out there who are convinced that bowl coatings are evil by definition, so at least I don't need to spend time explaining the matter to them.
And really, I understand all the honey, dairy and carbon based recipes, but water glass? That does seem to seal the bowl and stay there for some time, since it's quite fire resistant, isn't that right? But who am I to know, probably Todd's spit prevents that! :D
Water glass is water permeable, so no, it does not "seal" the bowl, but this topic has gone round and round and round again. I'm just responding to the question about what pipe makers use to coat bowls. Coat them with what you want, or don't coat them at all. If you're looking for "advice" rather than a recipe, I would recommend water glass for a number of reasons which you can probably find by doing a search of the topic here on the forum.

TJ
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

ToddJohnson wrote:Most Danish and many American pipe makers, myself included, use a combination of Sodium Silicate (water glass) crushed pumice, and activated charcoal. Oh, and I spit in it.

TJ

P.S. To the fellow crushing up the Kingsford nuggets, you're not supposed to use the ones that have already been soaked in lighter fluid!
Is there any other purpose the pumice serves besides neutralizing the flavor and texture? With the gelatin/carbon powder I use, the texture is very nice and the flavor is nuetral. I am curious if the pumice serves some other purpose that would make my mixture better.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Nate

Post by Nate »

PremalChheda wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:Most Danish and many American pipe makers, myself included, use a combination of Sodium Silicate (water glass) crushed pumice, and activated charcoal. Oh, and I spit in it.

TJ

P.S. To the fellow crushing up the Kingsford nuggets, you're not supposed to use the ones that have already been soaked in lighter fluid!
Is there any other purpose the pumice serves besides neutralizing the flavor and texture? With the gelatin/carbon powder I use, the texture is very nice and the flavor is nuetral. I am curious if the pumice serves some other purpose that would make my mixture better.
I've alway heard it is used to smooth the mixture. To remove the 'lumpiness'.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nate wrote: I've alway heard it is used to smooth the mixture. To remove the 'lumpiness'.
Well, I'd heard it was added to give the cake something to cling to. Perhaps the use of pumice should be revisited?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, I'd heard it was to make it completely toxic and kill off pipesmokers who like bowls that are pre-coated.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Sasquatch wrote:Well, I'd heard it was to make it completely toxic and kill off pipesmokers who like bowls that are pre-coated.

It hasn't worked yet, but I shall continue my efforts.

TJ
Nate

Post by Nate »

ToddJohnson wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Well, I'd heard it was to make it completely toxic and kill off pipesmokers who like bowls that are pre-coated.

It hasn't worked yet, but I shall continue my efforts.

TJ
Please keep us updated. If you figure something out, I want the recipe! :lol:
Nate

Post by Nate »

e Markle wrote:
Nate wrote: I've alway heard it is used to smooth the mixture. To remove the 'lumpiness'.
Well, I'd heard it was added to give the cake something to cling to. Perhaps the use of pumice should be revisited?
Well, I'd heard it was added to soap to get the grime out.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Pumping "Lava" into your pipe chamber at the last minute is not really recognized by the guild as a bowl coating proper, Nate. Sorry. :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:Pumping "Lava" into your pipe chamber at the last minute is not really recognized by the guild as a bowl coating proper, Nate. Sorry. :lol:
:lol: :D