carbon coating for bowls

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
mathias65

carbon coating for bowls

Post by mathias65 »

i was just wondering .. how do people carbon coat their bowls? is there a particular product for sale somewhere? if so, may i ask where? and how is it used properly.
LexKY_Pipe

Re: carbon coating for bowls

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I bought charcoal powder in bulk from an education supply store. I mix 1 tbs of sour cream with 1 tbs of buttermilk and then add the charcoal to thicken the mixture. This is a very common recipe. I usually mix up a batch and coat a bunch of pipes at the same time. It does keep in the fridge.

Some people use finely ground glass beads with the mixture.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

I just crushed up a briquette and added water.
stummel bum

Post by stummel bum »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:I bought charcoal powder in bulk from an education supply store. I mix 1 tbs of sour cream with 1 tbs of buttermilk and then add the charcoal to thicken the mixture. This is a very common recipe. I usually mix up a batch and coat a bunch of pipes at the same time. It does keep in the fridge.

Some people use finely ground glass beads with the mixture.
Same recipe I use (minus the glass). I just bought a fish tank filter that uses activated charcoal, and ground it up into powder. You want to add enough carbon to the dairy to make it a toothpaste-like consistency. Then just smear it on with your finger. You don't need a very thick coating just enough so the wood doesn't show through. Let dry overnight and light it up. Leaves a nice hard carbon shell.
Cheers,
Rob
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

thanks guys
Leus

Post by Leus »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:Some people use finely ground glass beads with the mixture.
Is this right? I had heard that water glass is used, but never heard of actual glass mixed in.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Leus wrote:
LexKY_Pipe wrote:Some people use finely ground glass beads with the mixture.
Is this right? I had heard that water glass is used, but never heard of actual glass mixed in.
I meant "water glass." My bad. Thanks for the correction. :oops:
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

I just crushed up a briquette and added water.
I tried this with disasterous results. The smoke had a very powerful and unpleasant flavor. I had to scrape the coating from the pipe. I then purchased charcoal capsules from a pharmacy and used the buttermilk recipe described above. When I used the purified carbon I found no detectable flavor. Charcoal capsules can be found in any drug store, they are used for the treatment of flatulence.
Leus

Post by Leus »

pennsyscot wrote: Charcoal capsules can be found in any drug store, they are used for the treatment of flatulence.

From what I've read in this forum they should be considered mandatory supplies for pipemaking...
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

Leus wrote:
pennsyscot wrote: Charcoal capsules can be found in any drug store, they are used for the treatment of flatulence.

From what I've read in this forum they should be considered mandatory supplies for pipemaking...
for the pipemaking? or for the flatulence? :shock:
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Leus wrote:

You must be referring to Rad's infamous "brown blast" sandblasting technique. I believe he uses charcoal capsules when he is going for a shallower, less detailed blast.
:thumbsup:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Google "charcoal powder". You'll find sources where you can buy it in bulk form.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
1FatBastard

Post by 1FatBastard »

For a healthier coating, use non-fat buttermilk and sour cream. :lol:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Rad had a great quote in the recent P&T magazine about bowl coatings. I'll dig it up and post it here. Unless of course the man himself would do the honors. ;)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Most Danish and many American pipe makers, myself included, use a combination of Sodium Silicate (water glass) crushed pumice, and activated charcoal. Oh, and I spit in it.

TJ

P.S. To the fellow crushing up the Kingsford nuggets, you're not supposed to use the ones that have already been soaked in lighter fluid!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

ToddJohnson wrote:Most Danish and many American pipe makers, myself included, use a combination of Sodium Silicate (water glass) crushed pumice, and activated charcoal. Oh, and I spit in it.

TJ
I've seen him do it!!!
I prefer yak saliva.
OregonCustom

carbon coating for bowls

Post by OregonCustom »

Hey, If anyone wants to try a little water glass, I bought a really big jug of high purity lab grade sodium silicate. I'll package it in 25mg bags. PM me for more details.
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....
OregonCustom

carbon coating for bowls

Post by OregonCustom »

Not 25mg...... Woke up this morning realized I meant 25 gram baggies.........feel like a drug dealer.... "dime bags on the street corner..."
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I've been using a mixture of honey, water, and activated charcoal. I really like it. It's deep black instead of gray, covers with a very thin coat, and best simulates a natural cake. It's also very neutral in flavor.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I'm a bit torn here - I'd like to say "uncoated bowls rule!", but then I see carvers like Todd who coat the bowls and I think, hmm...
Anyway for now I keep my bowls clean, cause there's so many smokers out there who are convinced that bowl coatings are evil by definition, so at least I don't need to spend time explaining the matter to them.
And really, I understand all the honey, dairy and carbon based recipes, but water glass? That does seem to seal the bowl and stay there for some time, since it's quite fire resistant, isn't that right? But who am I to know, probably Todd's spit prevents that! :D