Power carvers

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Power carvers

Post by KurtHuhn »

Anyone ever used one of these:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-b ... y=323-1000

I'm tempted to use it for rusticating as well as some other carving that I do, but am interested in hearing opinions on it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Kurt,

That is a cool looking little rig. I vote that you spring for one, and tell the rest of us whether or not we should buy one! :wink:

It does look like it has rustication potential. I don't know what else it might be good for though. I'm sure I don't fully understand how it works though, so that might be clouding my creativity for its uses.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm seriously considering getting one just on spec. I'll let everyone know how it goes. :)

If nothing else, I can use it for roughing other stuff. Every once in a while I sit down with a block of wood (sometimes briar that's obviously no good for pipes) and make little figurine carvings. My kids like little animals and stuff, and one of these rigs would prove rather helpful for roughing in the shape of the figure before going at it with finer tools.

I'm pretty happy with using a variety of dremel bits for rustication, but I'm always on the lookout for new techniques that make cool and interesting textures.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Will_Branch

Harbor Freight has one also...

Post by Will_Branch »

Hi Guys,

I thought about getting one of these, but not sure if it would fit on the Dremel flex shaft.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=42614

I also had a link to someone selling different shaped chisel bits for these types of carvers. They seemed to be at an affordable price.

Will Branch
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Hmmm. I've been burned by Harbor Freight before. Personally, I'd get the better tool. Mine is going on order Saturday morning. I'll let everyone know how it works (probably lat next week or so).
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Will_Branch

Post by Will_Branch »

I went ahead and got the carver from Harbor Freight. They have always been fine for me... They process the orders a bit slowly and will usually have something on backorder.

On the carver... I may need to get a different shaft, but that's fine - I'll probably end out getting another Dremel or Foredom anyway.

Will
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Be real careful Kurt, if the stroke is very long it's going to want to knock the workpiece right out of your hand.
I haven't got it yet - finances aren't the best at the moment. I have been doing new and different things with my dremel though, and some it looks pretty cool. It also takes less time than sanding the entire pipe. :D

BTW: Random, good to see you here. I was wondering when you'd show up. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com