What is your failing rate.

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
OregonCustom

What is your failing rate.

Post by OregonCustom »

It was drilled into me at a young age, "A true craftsman is judged by how well he fixes his mistakes." That said, I don't see them as mistakes, I just see them as minor coarse corrections on the evolution of the pipe. Not every pipe is made exactly the same way (thats what CNC equipment is for).

I will be honest I have a block sitting on the shelf for about a year, misaligned drilling. Smokeable, if I finish it, but I'm waiting to see if a solution pops into my head at 3 am that will make it a pipe I can sell to someone for use other than herb.
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....
Vermont Freehand

Re: What is your failing rate.

Post by Vermont Freehand »

OregonCustom wrote:It was drilled into me at a young age, "A true craftsman is judged by how well he fixes his mistakes."
SAME HERE !!! goes for anyone who works with their hands, even doctors, BTW, high-end woodworkers make the best surgeons.

back to the topic, I usually junk 1 out of every 25 pipes, but I have a long way to go learning the ropes of professional pipe making. And by junk, I mean hang it on the wall as a reminder of that mishap so it doesn't happen again, or it is a personal smoker (up to 4 misaligned personal smokers now....)
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

I haven't even ventured into making my own stems yet, but I know Kurt did a great video on making stems. Have you seen that?
taharris

Post by taharris »

I don't make mistakes...

I make "design opportunities". :D

But in all seriousness, learning to correct and accomodate your mistakes is a great learning experience.

Todd
1FatBastard

Post by 1FatBastard »

My wife thinks all the time! :wink: But drilling holes, I would say 1 out of 8 or 10. Shaping, 1 out of 5, I hate it when the sander gouges a surface, and I have to rethink the shape completely.