Shank extension advice

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Ocelot55

Shank extension advice

Post by Ocelot55 »

I think I'm ready to start playing around with shank extensions, but I'd like some advice. First of all, keep in mind that I don't have a lathe.

Is there a cheap, but attractive wood that makes a good extension, or should I use acrylic? Sources for wood?

What about the little ebonite or acrylic spacers that I see all the time? How on earth would I make one without a lathe, or can I purchase them somewhere?

I'm excited to get started with extensions. They add a huge amount to the overall composition of pipes. Mine have been looking a little boring lately.
RadDavis

Re: Shank extension advice

Post by RadDavis »

Shank extensions will be really tough without a lathe. Ideally, there needs to be a short tenon on either the extension or the stummel and a mortise opposite to increase the strength of the joint, and these are difficult to achieve without the right machine.

Rad
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I thought A good alternative would be to turn a longer tenon, or use a longer piece of delrin and slide the extension material onto the stem rather than the stummel. Any thoughts?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

That would work, but it would be more of a stem inlay than a shank extension. Shank extensions remain part of the stummel, while stem inlays are part of the stem.

Rad
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Take a look at this pipe. This is kind of what I had in mind.

http://www.alpascia.com/detail.asp?x=&detail=21366.0
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

A shank cap like the one you referenced would be easier without a lathe than a shank extension because you only need one flush end perpendicular to the hole you drill to attach it to the shank although turning a tenon to attach it might be a problem. You will need a drill press and forstner bit though in lieu of a lathe. You could forgo the forstner if you sanded one end flush then set that side flat on the drill press table and drilled your hole.

You're choice of material is endless although there are some I would avoid. Black palm is a bugger to work because the fibers chip out easily. Boxwood, bocote, zebrawood, holly, maple, rosewood, marblewood, paduak, wenge all are easy to use. Acrylic is a good option if you're not turning it on a lathe. It has it's own challenges turning on a lathe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com