Off Center Chamber

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Mark Beattie

Off Center Chamber

Post by Mark Beattie »

Good day,

This might be obvious to you all and I hope it is. I've drilled my mortise/draught hole and chamber last night. My alignment is about 1mm off, which I am okay with at this point but after turning the top of the chamber I noticed that the tobacco chamber is off center with the lip of the bowl ( picture a perfect circle slightly offset inside another perfect circle. Lathe adjustment? Block coming loose without me noticing? I can likely correct this in the shaping stage but I'd rather correct it for the next project. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Mark
Sasquatch

Re: Off Center Chamber

Post by Sasquatch »

Block probably shifted a little as you rounded it up.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Sometimes the chamber bit "walks" just a tiny bit when you drill the chamber. This will give you an off center look when you turn the outside.

It can be corrected on the lathe as long as you don't remove the stummel. Bring a tool rest up to the bowl top and turn enough off the inside of the chamber to even everything out.

Rad
Charl

Post by Charl »

What's wrong, Rad? You in love or something? :lol:
This helps!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I'm not always a smart ass. :P

Rad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

RadDavis wrote:Sometimes the chamber bit "walks" just a tiny bit when you drill the chamber. This will give you an off center look when you turn the outside.

It can be corrected on the lathe as long as you don't remove the stummel. Bring a tool rest up to the bowl top and turn enough off the inside of the chamber to even everything out.

Rad
This is what I do. It happens when drilling on a wood lathe if the bit walks or you drill even slightly off center. I use a round finish scraper inside the chamber to true things up.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com