Military Mortise & End-Cap Fit Issue

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
nak

Military Mortise & End-Cap Fit Issue

Post by nak »

Hi Folks - - This is kind of an Intro as I am a "Newbie" on the Forum, but I also wanted to get an opinion right away! So I apologize for a bit of both in one post...........I had made pipes about 2 years ago (for a couple of years) and was really getting into it, but life interrupted and dragged me in a different direction. I have just started up again and am very excited about it. So I am a newbie to pipe-making also.

For my first project I gave myself a huge challenge (for me). I always wanted to make a copy of a Peterson System Pipe with a Military Stem. Trying to keep this short, I'll just say that the drilling for the Airway, Mortise, Bowl and System came out very well. Using an extra Peterson Stem I had (gave myself a break here), it fits and locks up very nice when twisted.

The hardest part was hand sanding the Shank to get a good fit on an extra Peterson "End Cap" that I had. Here's the problem........... The End-Cap now fits the Shank well, but the opening for the stem is maybe a half a millimeter to one millimeter too small to allow the stem to go far enough in to "Lock" into the Military Shank/Mortise. (The stem locks into the metal End-Cap instead). (Nothing is epoxied up yet).

If I change the shape of the mortise or stem it will mess up the nice military "Lock" I have (which was made with specially made bits for this). Since the End-Cap is Nickel, I'm afraid of messing up the inner edge of the End-Cap ring. That seems to be my best choice here though (maybe my only one)? I could carefully sand it open by hand using say a 320 grit, but would sanding the edge leave it open to rust or anything? I am just throwing this out for any opinions............ THANKS! - - And hello to all!
Sasquatch

Re: Military Mortise & End-Cap Fit Issue

Post by Sasquatch »

I'd say just open up the end cap a bit. You could do this a hundred safe, slow ways (chainsaw file), or a slightly less safe but pretty fast way (dremel), or just put it in a vise and drill it bigger (without crushing, marring, or otherwise screwing it up). All told, I'd do it with a dremel. Even if it's not perfectly round you'll be able to get it pretty close, and get that tenon fit where you want it. Peterson in front of me has about 1mm of wood showing after the silver cap.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
nak

Post by nak »

Thank you for the advice Sasquatch. I had a feeling that was the way to go. My only concern was since it had nickel plating would that thin end be ruined (like in rusting from having the plating removed). My guess is that since it is the edge it will probably be OK. I can certainly polish it up. And your right, I have noticed the wood showing through the diameter of the end-cap on my own Petersons. - - - - I'll follow-up and post how it went! Thanks again.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Another approach would be to use a tapered hand reamer. Work the hole mainly from the inside and you will see very little if any of the bare metal. You can hold the part in your hand while doing this and thus eliminate any risk of deforming the part. If you try to use a power drill on it the bit will most likely grab and ruin the cap and perhaps slice and dice you. Using a Dremel will surely work but unless you have a calibrated eyeball and a very steady hand I would think it would be very difficult to keep the hole round.
Tapered hand reamers should be at a big hardware store and obviously the internet.
Good luck with the project.
Chas.
nak

Post by nak »

Thank you both............... I ended up doing a little bit of both suggestions. I used a dowel sized just right to squeeze in with sand paper tightly wrapped on it (although a reamer would have been better). It didn't take much. On checking it the third time I was thinking surely not yet. but best to go slow, and the stem twisted and locked right in! I can't even notice the metal showing (but it must). - - - - Anyway - I am a happy camper. The opinions here gave me some confidence. Tonight just rough sanding, but so far no "major" mishaps............