tracing pattern help!

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
timothy thorpe

tracing pattern help!

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi All, i have a few patterns for standard shapes. i am not the best at drawing even a simple shape. is there a place somewere or someone would like to share there patterns with me that would be great! i have seen scott theils pattern and they look really solid. i cannot ask him anymore questions!! :lol:

thanks
Growley

Re: tracing pattern help!

Post by Growley »

timothy thorpe wrote:hi All, i have a few patterns for standard shapes. i am not the best at drawing even a simple shape. is there a place somewere or someone would like to share there patterns with me that would be great! i have seen scott theils pattern and they look really solid. i cannot ask him anymore questions!! :lol:

thanks
Finding patterns is really easy if you know where to look. All you have to do is find a website (like: http://www.alpascia.com/groupIndex.asp?list=14095..1 for example) where they post nice side photos. You can print them to the exact size you want, cut them out and use it as a pattern to learn. I did that on several pipes when I was trying to learn composition. The nice part is that this way you not only have a flat pattern, but several nice photos to compare with to see how you did. After a while of doing this you'll find you can make your own patterns pretty easily.

Brian.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Early on i did what Brian describes. Find a good profile shot online and print it out at the size you want. I preferred to trace it onto translucent stencil plastic sheets then cut out the pattern. It's a great way to make, learn, and study traditional shapes. I still use templates for certain traditional shapes. smokingpipes.com also had great photos. It's also a great way to transfer your own sketched designs onto a block of briar.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

If I see a pipe that is a superior rendition of a shape, I buy it, and it becomes a 3D template in my shop. Expensive, yes, but I suffer for the cause.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!