Round 2!

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Kenny

Re: Round 2!

Post by Kenny »

I'm going to ignore the last bunch of comments on KY, assless chaps and ass-cheek abrasives, and get back to your pipe.

First, before you so much as TOUCH another ebauchon, BUY SOME FRICKIN STEMS OR GET TO MAKIN SOME!!!

This is VERY IMPORTANT! Unless you know exactly, 100% what type of stem you plan to use, have cut the tenon on it and have it fit to the block, you should not be shaping anything you plan to keep and/or finish as a good looking and smoke-able pipe.

The stem can, and will, change everything about what you have shaped thus far, and unless you have a LOT of meat left to
adjust/play with, you're screwed.

Also, what do you plan to size your tenons with? If you don't have a lathe, you'll need a tenon tool (like a PIMO or something similar), as they do not come cut to exact size. They are only rough cast/turned/formed and need a lot of work in most cases. Maybe some stems are different, but I've not seen one of my pre-made stems that is ready to be stuck into a mortise.

Unless you have a stem in place, you really don't even know if the mortise is straight, especially if you're not using a lathe to drill you pipes, or at least a good drill press and vise, and even that can still end with a crooked hole if the block isn't square.

And I'm not picking on you, as I'm no pipe maestro myself, but I saw the drilling on the billiard, and you were off a bit. I worry that you may get a big surprise when you affix a stem to that, or this pipe for that matter.

So please, I know you're excited and want to get to carving, but go buy a 2x4 and PRACTICE! Then, once you can drill with proper geometry, move onto your ebauchons. I drilled up an entire 2x4 practicing shaping and drilling before I ever touched briar. And then made several pipes from secondary woods for even more practice. But at least with these I could see how they smoked.

Now, go order some stems, pick up a 2x4, and while you're waiting for the stems, get in some practice on stuff that doesn't cost $10 a pop. It's surely not going to hurt!