Round 2!

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Cory

Round 2!

Post by Cory »

Here is my second stummel. Rough sanding is done. It still needs a bit more help though. I tried to follow the grain for this one. I think it came out decent. It tapers to a rectangular shank, which I think fits the pipe nicely. I think I am going to go with a bent stem for this one (tortoise color from PME).

Suggestions, comments, etc?

The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Sasquatch

Re: Round 2!

Post by Sasquatch »

In my opinion, the shape of the stummel cannot be critiqued, improved or even really considered properly without the stem being on. Yin and Yang. Peanut butter and chocolate. Kurt Huhn and KY Jelly. They go together. They are one.

You could cut a wicked, perfect, Bo Nordh stummel, and totally wreck the pipe with the wrong stem work. In all actuality, it's far more likely that a guy cuts a totally mediocre or in some way inaccurately angled stummel and when he puts the stem on as a separate entity, they remain separate entities, the pipe has no flow, and any and all of the tweaking, eyeballing, thumb-to-the-wind activity surrounding the stummel will be shown up as a waste of time.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Cory

Post by Cory »

Sasquatch wrote:In my opinion, the shape of the stummel cannot be critiqued, improved or even really considered properly without the stem being on. Yin and Yang. Peanut butter and chocolate. Kurt Huhn and KY Jelly. They go together. They are one.

You could cut a wicked, perfect, Bo Nordh stummel, and totally wreck the pipe with the wrong stem work. In all actuality, it's far more likely that a guy cuts a totally mediocre or in some way inaccurately angled stummel and when he puts the stem on as a separate entity, they remain separate entities, the pipe has no flow, and any and all of the tweaking, eyeballing, thumb-to-the-wind activity surrounding the stummel will be shown up as a waste of time.
Stems are on the way :thumbsup:.

I'll post up some pictures when I shape the stems. Hopefully it will make the pipe better, not worse.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Sasquatch wrote:Kurt Huhn and KY Jelly.
And assless chaps. :shock:

I will add that most folks, at least not those without significant experience, do not shape the stummel without the stem already afixed. It is nigh impossible to get the flow, shape, and symmetry correct without being able to see the pipe as a whole while you are shaping it.

I may be able to do that on certain shapes that I know well and have done variations of, but I wouldn't even attempt it on a pipe with a flush fit stem like any of the catalog shapes.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

KurtHuhn wrote:
So this is the second reference to assless chaps in a week. And there's no reference to a cheerleader in a bikini top wearing them.

Is this how we roll? Pipes and chaps?

Chris
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Sasquatch wrote:...any and all of the tweaking, eyeballing, thumb-to-the-wind activity...
Geeze Sass, tell them all my secrets! I told you those in CONFIDENCE!
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ironpenny wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:
So this is the second reference to assless chaps in a week. And there's no reference to a cheerleader in a bikini top wearing them.

Let's get one thing straight right off the bat: only I am permitted to wear chaps - assless or otherwise. The rest of you jamokes either wear pants or go without.

Just thought you'd like to know what you're getting into if you'd like me to cheer you on....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm pantsless.

Dental hygenist didn't seem to mind the other day, so why should you???
Alden

Post by Alden »

Ironpenny wrote:

There is a very good reason for the chaps, Penny.
All Kurt Huhn pipes are hand shaped on his buttocks. I could be wrong, but I believe the left cheek (when facing the backside) is something like 36 grit on the far left , up to 220 closer to the split. The right cheek handles everything from there, right up to 1200 for those high polish situations.
What we dont know is what he buffs them on.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ROFL!!! You got me! Now the noobs know! :lol:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

I thought he stopped using sand paper like a year ago and just used his hair... Possibly one of the strongest substances on the planet...
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I would like to apologize to the world for this thread, and any part I had in generating it. :oops:
Alden

Post by Alden »

KurtHuhn wrote: Now the noobs know! :lol:
I want to make sure the new guys start with the right information :D
Sasquatch wrote:I would like to apologize to the world for this thread, and any part I had in generating it. :oops:
You're not sorry....
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

Sasquatch wrote:I would like to apologize to the world for this thread, and any part I had in generating it. :oops:
Yeah, I agree with Edward. Haven't known you long, but I doubt your sorry.

The real question is why Kurt and KY popped into your head at all?

Chris
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Let's put it this way: it's a LOT better than Kurt and no KY.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sasquatch wrote: it's a LOT better than Kurt and no KY.
This statement adds a lot of authority to my previous comment.
Cory

Post by Cory »

:shock: Dear lord...
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Why did I read to the bottom of this thread?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

because like me, you thought it would contain pics?
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

With where the conversation has gone, I think the lack of pictures was the prudent choice.