Round 2 for 'Round 2!'

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Cory

Round 2 for 'Round 2!'

Post by Cory »

Since the other thread was pretty cluttered, I figured I would start a new one. I have the stem on now.

Specs:
Grecian Briar
Modified PME stem with 1/4 tenon and slight bend
Fiebing's Russet Dye

Things I know I need to work on:

Stem/shank joint gap
Even out the stain
Buff/Polish with carnauba

Any other suggestions that what I have listed?

The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Kenny

Re: Round 2 for 'Round 2!'

Post by Kenny »

First, it's not bad. Definitely smoke-able.

What did you turn your tenon and square the shoulder with? And what did you use to square the shank face/mortise?

Having a tenon turning tool will help a lot with getting proper tenon size and a square shoulder. As well as something to square the shank face. I use a tool for squaring the ends of pen blanks with a custom made mandrel. I think they sell similar tools made for this purpose. That will end the unsightly gap. Otherwise, you can get it close using sandpaper between the stem and shank, but make sure you only sand the shank and not the stem! The stem is likely a lot closer to square than the shank.

And in my opinion, it needs a lighter color on the stummel. It may be due to it not being polished, but it looks very "muddied" to me, with not much for contrast on the grain. Personally, I would sand/polish off some of the dark stain, and go over it again with a lighter shade to highlight the grain some. I believe the pipe guys call this "contrast staining". I do it on Tiger Maple to bring out the figure in my other woodwork, and just call is layering the finish.

Anyway, it's not a bad start, but it will need some work. I'd suggest slowing down and paying more attention to detail. It pays off in the end.
Cory

Re: Round 2 for 'Round 2!'

Post by Cory »

For the tenon I used a 1/4" plug cutter to start, then I cut the excess with some rotary tool work, and lastly I squared it (almost done squaring) with a flat file.

The shank face was just squared with a sanding disc on a belt/disc combo sander. The mortise was drilled with a 1/4" Forstner bit.

In regard to the stain, that is what I meant when I said even it out. It is a bit darker than I expected in some spots which makes it appear "muddied" as you say. I am going to sand it down further to even/lighten the stain. Also, the contrast is pretty good - just hard to see in pictures and unpolished.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis