'nother supplier to look at

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Sasquatch

'nother supplier to look at

Post by Sasquatch »

http://acutabovebriar4.blogspot.ca/

I've got a few pieces coming... will report.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LexKY_Pipe

Re: 'nother supplier to look at

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Let us know what you find out!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
DMI

Post by DMI »

I bought 30 PLS and 50 ebaucheons from a cut above and must say that I have been very pleased with what I have.

PLS- Of 23 used I had one went in the bin and one was rusticated because of flaws. The grain ranges from so so to wow. Some of the pieces have 'heart wood' still attached so it's worth keeping an eye out for that. I have found the wood easy to work, it takes dye well and takes a polish well.

Ebaucheons- Of 33 used 3 went in the bin because of flaws, the grain ranges from ugh to 360 straight and good cross cuts, the ughs get rusticated. Again the wood is nice to work with but you will find the odd piece which is rock hard (these seem to give the best finish).

Makis included a couple of full plateaus with my order and they are big! So the elephants feet must be huge.

I will certainly be buying from them again.

David.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Sounds good David.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Placing an order for 7 M ebauchon, 5 R ebauchon, and a plateaux. We'll see what happens.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

Sasquatch wrote:http://acutabovebriar4.blogspot.ca/

I've got a few pieces coming... will report.
Thx for the info ill hit them up sometime next week to make an order ty Sasquatch
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Do you have a price list?

I got "under construction" on that page.
DMI

Post by DMI »

Depending on quantity

Ebaucheons from 5 euro
PLS from 10 euro
Plateau from 20 euro

David
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I think we got 6 plateau chunks shipped for 100 euros or so. These were specified at being at least 100 mm by 60 mm which I'd call a good medium +. So that's very reasonable assuming a guy gets pipes out of them. That's the magic factor in all these pricing schemes.

Makis wrote:
"Wood prices are €6 for large ebouchon pieces and from €10 up to €40 for plateaux quality(€40 is for very very large pieces).
Prices DO NOT include shipping.
There is no minimum quantity and I do PayPal too.
For shipping cost I can calculate if he gives me an estimation on how many and what kind of pieces he is interested in."

shoot him an email at acutabovebriar at gmail.com Tyler - I don't wanna be the only guy with this crappy wood! :lol: :lol:

It sounds like they've supplied big time factory setups and small-time artisans so hopefully the stuff is good. I asked for the best quality they could supply routinely - no point in getting something you can't get again.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Hey Sas, did you get yours yet?
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

EDIT: I lied, they are here.

They are all brown and lumpy, so I cleaned them up on the table saw. These are nice blocks, a couple are better than nice, and this is a good price on what amounts to medium and large blocks. Group 4 Dunhill 120 for comparison.

Pretty well cut, 2 blocks show some wandering grain on the bottom, 4 are pretty straight. 3 are cut dead vertical, 2 off a little, and one is wandering to the corner. But all in all, they look like a guy will get pipes out of them. Oh, these are not super duper dry. The wettest one is wet, period - I will just sit it on the shelf. Could probably cut pipes from the others but I'll age it a bit I think.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Just got mine in. Haven't gotten a chance to clean them up to check grain, but it looks good so far. I will agree with Sas though that some of them are a little wet. The pieces are much larger than what I got when I ordered the M10 size ebauchons from alexander-zavvos on eBay.

Here are pictures before cut and largest one compared to a can (95mm tallest point, 63mm wide average, 125mm longest point).

I'll post up some pictures once I run them through the table saw to square them.
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Hey Todd... real talk for a sec. I want that top right one in your first picture. Even I could make a pipe out of that block. So, if you could just go ahead and box it up with one of the "billiards" you like to make I think we'd all be a little happier.

What? No way? Oh... OK. :cry:
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I've cut 5 blocks now of the 6. 3 were done up as kit pipes so I didn't see a finished product, but I didn't hit any glaring defects in cutting them.

Two others I've cut stummels with and they are coming out real nice. One block was just a big flawless piece of cheese - not even a sand pit throughout. The other had a couple little spots but they were very localized.

So. It's briar. It looks well boiled, certainly it is very clean inside and has no smell when you cut it. It's a little wet, but a guy can get around that.

I sent Makis some more cash, told him to go dig up some wicked blocks, so we'll see what he comes up with. So far, I'm impressed.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Here is what I made with one of the R ebauchons.

I refinished it to get some scratches that I missed out and made the stem fit right since that picture.