To Putty or not to Putty

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
LathamPipes

To Putty or not to Putty

Post by LathamPipes »

OK, I am having a rash of sand pits in some of my briar lately. What are y'alls thought on putty to fill in small pits?
Respectfully,
Ken Latham
wmolaw

Re: To Putty or not to Putty

Post by wmolaw »

I don't like it, but that's me. The putty never darkens/changes the same way as the rest of the briar. I am looking at that issue right now, though I might actually be able to sand the pits out, but the more I sand the deeper they go and I'm scared to death of getting into the draught hole or the tobacco chamber as it appeared right at the junction.

Just my idea, as it is what I'm thinking of, if they are in a place you can do some very minor rustication, that is a better idea. Leave the rest smooth (if nice grain) and just gently rusticate that area.

Again, I have the very same issue with a great piece of briar that I just carved and am a total newbie at this, so just my thoughts.
Massis

Post by Massis »

wmolaw wrote: I am looking at that issue right now, though I might actually be able to sand the pits out, but the more I sand the deeper they go and I'm scared to death of getting into the draught hole or the tobacco chamber as it appeared right at the junction.
if they do go that deep,chances are you'll have burnout problems anyway...
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Massis wrote:
wmolaw wrote: I am looking at that issue right now, though I might actually be able to sand the pits out, but the more I sand the deeper they go and I'm scared to death of getting into the draught hole or the tobacco chamber as it appeared right at the junction.
if they do go that deep,chances are you'll have burnout problems anyway...
It's a pickaxe shape, and they are in the bottom part of the pipe. But, you may be correct, DAMNIT! It was such a gorgeous piece of briar other than that, and the shape is fixed, never saw them until they appeared at the last minute.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Just sandblast or rusticate, fills never look that great I don't think, i would much rather do an alternative finish.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

You could attempt a conglomerate of wood putty/glue and briar saw dust. This would match the color a little better, and might give into changing color over time with the rest of the briar. I wouldn't count on it, but atleast it would be closer to the natural color...
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

caskwith wrote:Just sandblast or rusticate, fills never look that great I don't think, i would much rather do an alternative finish.

Or if they are not that severe, leave em! Of course, all of my pipes are going to friends or are being smoked by yours truly so it is a bit different for me.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Rusticate or blast.

Fills give me heebee jeebies.
LathamPipes

Post by LathamPipes »

Thanks gents, I personally cant stand putty. I just wanted to ask those with more experience than I have. My pipes seem to have struck a nerve with a very particular customer set, and this particular pit is right at the bottom. I might just leave it.
Ken
Respectfully,
Ken Latham
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

You could do fills on a dress pipe, you basically paint over them anyway so nobody's know.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.